Mistaline

Reputable
May 25, 2017
Hi all,

Right now my setup is:
-16GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz
-Geforce GTX 750ti
-Intel i5 750

What I noticed is that my CPU is quite often around 80-100% and slowing down my games, even older games are lagging. I was wondering if this was indeed a problem that the CPU could cause, and if so: What is a good CPU that runs DDR3 to replace mine with? My budget is around €200,- max.
Someday I will change my setup entirely, but that day is still far away.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I don't play the high-end games like Battlefield 1 and such. It's more for games like Player Unknown: Battlegrounds.

Mistaline

Reputable
May 25, 2017
Can you explain why I should upgrade my Motherboard to change my CPU significantly? I was indeed thinking of getting an i5 4790K or an i5 4690k.
If I'm going to have to upgrade my mobo as well, I can just as well upgrade my entire system.

kanewolf

Titan
It i5-750 CPU uses a a 50s series motherboard (H57 or similar chipset). An i5-4690K requires a 90s series motherboard like a Z97 as I mentioned in my previous post.
Here are the Intel support pages showing the compatible motherboards for
I5-750 -- http://ark.intel.com/products/42915/Intel-Core-i5-750-Processor-8M-Cache-2_66-GHz
i5-4690K -- http://ark.intel.com/products/80811/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz?q=i5-4690k

The motherboard you have with your current CPU is NOT compatible with an i5-4690K. You HAVE to replace it and the CPU.

The 3770 will require a new motherboard as well, socket 1155. The first gen i5's like the 750 run on 1156. So long as replacing the motherboard may as well go with a stronger/faster cpu. Unless the op finds a really good bargain locally to them for a good price on cpu and mobo I don't see them upgrading cpu and mobo for 200 euro's.

Some games are just poorly optimized and so they may require just as high end of hardware as new AAA titles or may not run great no matter what. This is an article from a month ago mentioning PUB performance and patches trying to sort out poor performance.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/04/20/playerunknowns-battlegrounds-performance-patch/

People with i5 7600k's are getting 70-90% usage in PUB. Searching cpu performance for that game in google brings up related searches including low fps, fps boost, high cpu usage, stuttering. Seems to be a common theme. Newer 3rd and 4th gen i5's or i7's will undoubtedly perform better than a first gen i5 but it's not a magic fix either and may still suffer some issues.

Not sure if ebay is even an option in your region and without knowing what country you're from it's hard to check local retail postings of hardware.

Mistaline

Reputable
May 25, 2017
First off, sorry for the delayed response.

Thank you all for the great help, this makes it clear for me. I'll probably stick with my current set-up, and save some money and I'll just replace my entire setup. I'll make a new post regarding the new set-up to get more detail about it, considering this is not related to my current post (I think?). Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS