[SOLVED] Good download and upload speed but very high ping

Mar 18, 2020
Hello,

I have a problem when connecting to the game server I have 1200ms (ping), but when I am running a speed test the download and upload seems to be just alright.
I already talked to the ISP, reset every device in my house, preformed all kind of driver update and that kind of stuff. It has already been a week like that.

Thanks for the help,
Ziv.

Solution
Data transfer (that is what speedtest is) can tolerate very high ping times. Used to be you were limited by the latency and things like satellite connections (500ms+) would cap the top speed. Modern devices have solved what was called the window size problem and can transfer huge amounts of data even with large latency.

Still speedtest does show the latency. Do you get the same latency/ping on the speedtest as you do in games. What happens if you try speedtest servers in the same city as the game servers.

In general you can't fix this but maybe you get lucky. Try a tracert to 8.8.8.8 and maybe a game server. You are trying to find the hop in the path that causes this large increase. You likely will have to run the...

Ralston18

Titan
I would not worry about "ping" per se.

Especially if speeds are okay.

Because of the Coronavirus many people are locked down (or even if not) and are online trying to work, order necessary supplies, conduct personal financial business, do online classes, and gaming.

Very likely that there are some bottlenecks and delays will occur.

Bandwidth is limited and there is more demand and that demand is continually increasing.

Mar 18, 2020
I would not worry about "ping" per se.

Especially if speeds are okay.

Because of the Coronavirus many people are locked down (or even if not) and are online trying to work, order necessary supplies, conduct personal financial business, do online classes, and gaming.

Very likely that there are some bottlenecks and delays will occur.

Bandwidth is limited and there is more demand and that demand is continually increasing.

I'm talking here about gaming and its unbearable to play with 1000ms ping everything happens in 1-second delay, still need some clue how to fix this problem

Data transfer (that is what speedtest is) can tolerate very high ping times. Used to be you were limited by the latency and things like satellite connections (500ms+) would cap the top speed. Modern devices have solved what was called the window size problem and can transfer huge amounts of data even with large latency.

Still speedtest does show the latency. Do you get the same latency/ping on the speedtest as you do in games. What happens if you try speedtest servers in the same city as the game servers.

In general you can't fix this but maybe you get lucky. Try a tracert to 8.8.8.8 and maybe a game server. You are trying to find the hop in the path that causes this large increase. You likely will have to run the command many times to get a consistent result.

If you see it in hop1 that is inside your house. Most times things that large are because you are using wifi and it is getting interference. Hop2 represents the connection to the ISP first router for most people. Generally high ping times here are because you are over using your internet connection. Check both upload and download to be sure you are not. It could also be traffic from all your neighbors combined using up the bandwidth to your nieghborhood. This is more common on cable than say dsl.

Hops past hop2 are farther into your ISP network and in other ISP network. There is little you can do. Again high ping time is mostly over utilization. It also represents distance but generally you never see over 400-500ms because of distance.

Solution
Mar 18, 2020

In general you can't fix this but maybe you get lucky. Try a tracert to 8.8.8.8 and maybe a game server. You are trying to find the hop in the path that causes this large increase. You likely will have to run the command many times to get a consistent result.

If you see it in hop1 that is inside your house. Most times things that large are because you are using wifi and it is getting interference. Hop2 represents the connection to the ISP first router for most people. Generally high ping times here are because you are over using your internet connection. Check both upload and download to be sure you are not. It could also be traffic from all your neighbors combined using up the bandwidth to your nieghborhood. This is more common on cable than say dsl.

Hops past hop2 are farther into your ISP network and in other ISP network. There is little you can do. Again high ping time is mostly over utilization. It also represents distance but generally you never see over 400-500ms because of distance.

Thank you for your reply. first of all, when I check my ping from a nearby server it's just fine about 20ms, but when I go out for a server far in Europe(I live in Israel) it is horrible may even jump to 2000ms but averages 1000ms (regularly it should be around 70ms).

when I tracert in the cmd the first hop is usually 5ms but in some tests, it jumps to 80ms the second hop is steady on 14ms.

I started realizing that the problem might be something I can't control

I have little knowledge of the internet connectivity for isreal. Most stuff either goes via undersea fiber to the UK or it connects in southern france. For political reason most ISP try to stay on undersea fiber rather than risk government interference, not so much france I would suspect but many other countries.

I know a couple years ago a ship cut both the primary and secondary fibers to egypt. For the users that still had connectivity the latency was huge.

There is a small chance a vpn service might help. What you hope is you can get a good connection to the vpn data center and they have a connection to the remote location that follows a different path. In many cases all you can do is try this and see no way to find detailed information about connectivity.

All depends on where the overload or damage is.