Good easy to run benchmark

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I have my 9800NP installed and want to test it. What would you recommend to make sure I got the NP and not the SE model? I suppose 3dmark would be ok to test against similar systems as always, but Q3A (my personal old tyme standard benchmark) doesnt seem to work anymore for benching. At least the timedemos I used to use didn't work last time I tried.
edit- I realize the drivers would say if I had the SE model.. its just for my own test purposes really and paranoia. :smile:

Also a sidenote, I think this card is actually clearer and sharper even in windows than the GF it replaced. Maybe I'm crazy..
this card rocks for $240, I'd recommend it to any of you nerds out there looking for a good gaming card.
I'm placing an order for a 2nd one tomorrow!

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kinney on 09/05/03 03:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Try installing an OC program like RadClocker or just the Rage3Dtweak that will give you clock speeds. And as for benchmarks, 3Dmk is best for system info of the major, and GunMetal2 logs ALOT of info, and even that RealStorm raytracing demo from DaveP had some god system figres (but I can't remember what it tels you about your card/drivers).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Ah, thank you!!
I didn't realize there was a 'coolbits' tweak out there for Radeons.

I installed it and it told me the clock speeds were where they should be.
The only disappointing news and worth reporting is that I think I got a 3.2ns samsung memory board judging from the markings. But I was never planning on o/cing anyway.

Remember that arguement we had a while back Ape? I guess you won in a way, I'm using a radeon!

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500

It was never about ATI, it was about being as objective as possible. And in the end then everyone wins.

Man that sounds like an ABC after-school special comment. Eeeww! :lol:

Weird about that memory 'cause that's surprisig, the mem. on my R9600P is the 2.86ns Samsung. St-ee-range!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Im pretty sure its 3.2 cuz the marking on the mem is 322

and the firingsquad review of the 9800 says they sell them with 2.8, 3.0 and 3.3 NS memory.

2.8 being the same the 9800pros use, 3.0 being a little less and 3.3 beign right where the specs for the 9800 are at.

<A HREF="http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/ati_radeon_9800_review/page3.asp" target="_new">Memory specs at firing squad</A>

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500

eden

Champion
Glad to hear you got an ATi working right off. Once again another happy 9800 user in this board, who switched from nVidia!

Hmm suddenly the dark side ain't so dark eh!

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>

Eden but he hasn't installed NEW Cats yet, give him a chance to find SOMETHING. :wink:

PS> my experience, less than 5 mins and I was running on the CAT 3.7s from the Omega 3.6s. No Prob.
I've been playing Chaser, Raven Shield, and Morrowind all ithout incident, and also watched a few video clips (from the wedding 2 weeks ago) all without issues, and the ThruView working a little better (the occasional crash like after 20+ plays) Didn't have that problem this time.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Yeah with no format. Just used <A HREF="http://www.driverheaven.net/" target="_new">driver cleaner</A> per the instructions and worked flawless.

I havent benched to ensure that old nv drivers might be hampering the performance but seems to run just fine.

I was always fond of running a little FSAA, I like about 2X, 4X makes the images start to blur to much IMO.. and a little more AF, just makes those textures pop!
I can finally do this again.

This board is just a nice, single slot solution, I'm very satisfied.

I'm never one to refuse listening to logic and the arguements you guys present for the ATI cards ring too true to ignore.
Up until the 9700 I would have disagreed but ATI mustve made a 180turnaround.

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kinney on 09/06/03 05:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

eden

Champion
Now let's start a seminar argument on Intel's good side! :evil:

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I am using the 3.7s. Very stable, as good as before (NV 44.03).

One thing I've learned, NOTHING will accelerate EQ. That game just sucks.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
No thanks. I won't be buying another 32bit only processor.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
So what are you doing with the GeForce 3 now?

P.S.: THanks for the link I added that to my favorites. Does the driver utility supposed to help ATi users who switch to Nvidia? Just wondering.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

eden

Champion
I won't be buying another 32bit only processor.
Err ok, if you REALLY want your CPU to finally rock after 5 years, when 64-bit is needed, then yeah, good for you.

--

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Oh please.

The A64 is going to be comparable to the P5 in 32bit...
And going A64 means you get 64bit, useless or not, and more than likely... not.

With the P5 itself having heat issues, and the P4/Athlons being as hot as they are... another direction is going to have to be taken.

Expect intel to put out a consumer 64bit CPU soon after.

Err ok, if you REALLY want your CPU to finally rock after 5 years, when 64-bit is needed, then yeah, good for you.

Or I could plan on buying technology thats obsolete before its even on the shelves!

I think this is the final "Hammer" in the coffin that intel has done nothing but attempt to stunt CPU technology in favor of $ and tried to progress as slowly as possible.
Its been going on for years.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
The software works for either situation, it removes Nforce drivers also.

I'm not sure what I'm doing with the GF3. I was considering building a new computer and using it in it.

The Radeon actually replaced a GF2MX in my P4 1.5ghz system.
The GF3 is in use, but will be coming out once my 2nd 9800 arrives.

eden

Champion
And going A64 means you get 64bit

And going Prescott means you get a new Hyper Threading version, and multmedia extensions. It's better to get the enhancements now and future-proofness for media, than an unsure era of conversion that no one knows when will come.

With the P5 itself having heat issues, and the P4/Athlons being as hot as they are... another direction is going to have to be taken.
That could not have come out more wrong than this. So tell me, why does Itanium output enough power to light a neigborhood?
Or I could plan on buying technology thats obsolete before its even on the shelves!
Which one? Are you not aware of how Socket 754 will die soon already?
I think this is the final "Hammer" in the coffin that intel has done nothing but attempt to stunt CPU technology in favor of $ and tried to progress as slowly as possible.
Ok I retract my previous statement, this one gets the award of "It could not have come out more wrong than this". That statement is AMD more than Intel ever.

Kinney, wake up already, such weak arguments are the same as when you argued ATi vs nVidia. You're still the same, you still will defend blindly until someone convinces you to try or think otherwise.
It's kinda sad.

--

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Whatever! Just because I don't agree with you.

First, I'm not a fan of Hyperthreading or multimedia extensions in the first place. MMX anyone?

So tell me, why does Itanium output enough power to light a neigborhood?
So Intel is going to resort to selling an Itanium core as a consumer cpu?

Which one? Are you not aware of how Socket 754 will die soon already?
I'm sure you knew I meant the P5. But a socket change isnt as bad as an CPU design that appears old fashioned before it even hits the ground.
As if AMD is so guilty of so many socket changes in the past...
/rolls eyes

It's better to get the enhancements now and future-proofness for media, than an unsure era of conversion that no one knows when will come.
Its not an era of conversion that no one knows will come, its the most odvious and apparant move into the future. IIRC, there already is some limited support for 64bit apps and drivers, though they may not be optimized for the A64 yet, they very easily will be.
Also, wheres the guarantee that software will support intels media extensions?
Consumer 64bit is one of those few times of progression in this industry where its a 100% safe bet to support it, its nothing new!
High end processors use 64bit, logically, 64bit will come down to us.

I listen to logic, once I learned more about ATIs current gen of cards.. particularly their PS strength, I switched. That means I can analyze a situation and adapt.. very important qualities. <b><i>The main reason I like NV is because their cards have a LONG track record of being stable.. thats #1 in my book. </i>
edit- Is that really a weak argument(!!??!!?) Its in fact not much of an arguement at all, just the way it was and is.</b>
They will still get my favor when they introduce the NV40 over whatever ATI has. NV has been good to me.
We'll see how ATI continues their support before I'm ever a true blue ATI fan.

Regardless of all that video card crap, I have read little that convinces me P5 is the way to go.

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kinney on 09/07/03 06:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
you still will defend blindly until someone convinces you to try or think otherwise.
It's kinda sad.
That is just ridiculous.

I shouldnt be typing any of this but, who in the hell wouldnt defend what they thought was correct?
A pussy?
Someone whos mute?

Its not blind defense, I'm exchanging information with you and listening.
Theres just nothing compelling coming from the intel camp.

SHHEEESSSHHH!

ecar016

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2002
well, maybe this topic should shift to a new forum but.....
AMD has never offered much. I build and sell systems and AMD has always had compatibility probs and performance probs. Intel has always had solid chipsets and cpu's but I admit that their last p4 crop is a little to be desired. My suggestion is that intel has more money to pour into r&d to build raw faster cpu's but they took a tarnishing when amd took strides teaming with nvidia to up the fsb. The P4's and maybe the p5's look attractive to me now that intel maybe offering a chipset design thats matched to the performance of it's cpus rather than selling feature reduced items for more profit. I'm an enthusiest first and an investor second. The interesting thing is when intel builds good chips (cpu and chipset)their business really takes off and they recoup market share. The new chipsets look promising and that makes me want to buy their new stuff and invest with them.
Maybe i'm an investor first??
oh well.

EC

<font color=red> Quantum Computers! - very interesting </font color=red>

[-peep-], Omega's take usually 1+ (seems to depend on his workload) weeks to hit the market. As soon as they are availible I'll let you know.

Edit; Wow, I put in P-h-u-k and I got a [peep], wow editing software built in to recognize the typo-swearos. Freaky!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 09/07/03 10:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Yep, CatMaker shouldn't have done that, (saying 3.8 would be bigger and better, etc), now it just makes me wonder what's in the works and whether I should even bother with the Omega 3.7s

Oh well I'll cave and load them none the less when they arrive.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
AMD has never offered much.
This alone raises a high enough eyebrow..
I've never had a problem with an AMD CPU.... I don't know of anyone who can say they have either.

Now, VIA has caused me multiple problems.
Every Nvidia chipset I've used has been as reliable, and faster, than the Intel counterparts I've used and owned.