Good enough cooler for i7 7740x?

Solution
No. While personally I'm a fan of AIO's, especially when it concerns enthusiast class boards that might run into ram height issues and/or extreme OC, in this case that Scythe Yuma has the Arctic beat hands down. It's one of the top performing aircoolers there is. Because of price, and it's ability, the Yuma is a sought after cooler and many times its not in stock, sold out, so I'd jump quick if that's what you want.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You want to put a 140w cooler on a 112w cpu. In as simple as I can put it, absolutely Not. You'll need a cooler closer to double the wattage of the cpu, especially if using high core, high load programs like rendering or encoding.

For air cooling I'd be looking at the Noctua NH-D15/S, Cryorig R1 or similar cooler of that capacity, for liquid cooling I'd be looking at the Fractal Design S24/S36, Nzxt Kraken x61/x62, Corsair H105 or better 240/280mm coolers.

Apart from its 112w rating those new 2066 cpus run extremely hot when approaching max ability, a $30 budget cooler won't come close to keeping the cpu in acceptable temps, nevermind good ones.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. While personally I'm a fan of AIO's, especially when it concerns enthusiast class boards that might run into ram height issues and/or extreme OC, in this case that Scythe Yuma has the Arctic beat hands down. It's one of the top performing aircoolers there is. Because of price, and it's ability, the Yuma is a sought after cooler and many times its not in stock, sold out, so I'd jump quick if that's what you want.

Solution