Question Good enough for $650 gaming PC?

Jun 14, 2020
I don't know if this spec is good for 650 bucks.

Ryzentosh gaming/editing desktop computer:

3.2 ghz Ryzen 5 six core processor
16 gigs of ddr4 ram
128 gig nvme drive
120 gig ssd
500 gig hard drive
8 gig Sapphire RX 480
Windows 10 Pro & macOS Catalina 10.15.5.

Could you guys please let me know? Thank you!!

Solution
Both are very close in performance, but the fact that you can ask the seller questions (with a seeming quick response) makes the first option the better one. Though, I would consider against it, unless you specifically want the MacOS installation. These "Hackintosh" systems can be a bit more finicky to use, since they are running Apple software on unsupported hardware. If you do not care about having both Windows and MacOS on the same PC, then I would personally look for another system.

HamsterKing

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
take a look,

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DqyGFG

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($144.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 570 8 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card ($143.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H17 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($44.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart Series 430 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($38.36 @ Amazon)
Total: $655.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-15 01:10 EDT-0400

Reactions: candymoon36

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the 128 gb ssd and m.2 drive is my only problem with it as is. you also don't say what psu you plan on using. they are expensive right now and many people are picking junk units to save a few bucks. but it is not worth it. get a quality unit.

i'd look at one large hdd if that's all your budget will allow. you can add a big ssd or nvme drive later when funds are available. that cash spent on a better gpu would benefit you more than a tiny ssd that won't hold much at all.

Jun 14, 2020
the 128 gb ssd and m.2 drive is my only problem with it as is. you also don't say what psu you plan on using. they are expensive right now and many people are picking junk units to save a few bucks. but it is not worth it. get a quality unit.

i'd look at one large hdd if that's all your budget will allow. you can add a big ssd or nvme drive later when funds are available. that cash spent on a better gpu would benefit you more than a tiny ssd that won't hold much at all.

Thank you very much! Though, this was a custom computer sold on the internet. I wanted to know if it's a good deal :) Could you let me know plz?? thnx!!!

Jun 14, 2020
take a look,

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 570 8 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card ($143.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart Series 430 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($38.36 @ Amazon)
take a look,

Thank you very much! Though, this was a custom computer sold on the internet. I wanted to know if it's a good deal :) Could you let me know plz?? thnx!!!

Jun 14, 2020

Jun 14, 2020
It is not bad. It will perform well enough. The PSU quality and RAM clock speed could be pretty bad though, so make sure you get that information before you buy. This is especially important for the PSU, since that can make or break a system long term.
hey said it's 500 watt Thermaltake. Is this ok? Thank you for helping me out :) !!

Thermal take has an iffy history with Power Supplies, based on what I have seen. Only their toughpower series are worth buying, apparently. Their other models are built cheaper, and can cause issues. None of this is firsthand experience, but what I have read/heard from other people. 500W is probably enough though, no problems there.

Jun 14, 2020
Thermal take has an iffy history with Power Supplies, based on what I have seen. Only their toughpower series are worth buying, apparently. Their other models are built cheaper, and can cause issues. None of this is firsthand experience, but what I have read/heard from other people. 500W is probably enough though, no problems there.
Thank you very much for helping me out!!!
May I ask you one more question?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gaming-PC-...rsOtherItemsV2&_trksid=p2047675.c101196.m2219

Would this model be better than what's described above though? :)

I would say no. The GPU is a bit better, but the CPU is not. It has similar ram and an equally not great PSU, at lower wattage. The main thing is that second link has a lot more storage, but less SSD storage. It is easy and cheap to upgrade storage though, so dont let that be the deciding factor.

Jun 14, 2020
I would say no. The GPU is a bit better, but the CPU is not. It has similar ram and an equally not great PSU, at lower wattage. The main thing is that second link has a lot more storage, but less SSD storage. It is easy and cheap to upgrade storage though, so dont let that be the deciding factor.
Ok, so the first one is still a slightly better option right? Thank you :) I really don't know anything about computers hahahaha

Both are very close in performance, but the fact that you can ask the seller questions (with a seeming quick response) makes the first option the better one. Though, I would consider against it, unless you specifically want the MacOS installation. These "Hackintosh" systems can be a bit more finicky to use, since they are running Apple software on unsupported hardware. If you do not care about having both Windows and MacOS on the same PC, then I would personally look for another system.

Solution
Jun 14, 2020
Thank you so much for replying...Though I have a final question (really final)!!!Do you have any recommendations that range from 650 to around 800? I know there are some customized ones on ebay but I'm pretty stuck on which one is efficient cost-wise...I would really appreciate it if you know some good deals!!!

The best deal is going to be one you build yourself, are you up to trying that? It is not too hard, if you have never done it. If not, it is hard to give you a pre-built or built custom to recommend specifically, but I can give some things you should try to watch out for.
Look for (as the basics)
  • Ryzen 5 / Intel Core i5
  • 16GB RAM
  • A modern GPU, like the RTX series, or higher GTX and RX series. If you are not sure, just ask here, and I or someone else can give you some specifics.
  • SSD Storage, and enough total storage for your needs
  • A good model PSU rated 500W or higher, from a good brand
  • A case that has airflow, so your PC doesn't cook itself.
You can post here with anything you find, and we can try to help you find the best option.

It will be easier to help you pick out parts for a prebuilt, again, if your interested in trying that.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yah for the money, these are not good deals. for the same cash you can build one yourself and get a lot better stuff that will last longer before it needs an upgrade.

most everyone has that computer geek in the family/friend network. ask and i'm sure someone you know can put it together for you. i used to teach high school and often helped students with custom builds. that might be a source for you as well. should not be that hard to get a tech geek to help out :)

if you lived near me, i'd help you no problem. it's what i do for a living. :)

TRENDING THREADS