good FM antennas

Leigh_2

Honorable
Sep 14, 2015
I have bought a good Sangean Radio a few months ago and it' great, feels like an old classic radio. Just looking at it takes me back when radio was still great not the digital with suck.
Here's the thing, Do anyone know of a great indoor FM antenna that works

D

Deleted member 217926

You've asked this before...

Azzyasi

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I have bought a good Sangean Radio a few months ago and it' great, feels like an old classic radio. Just looking at it takes me back when radio was still great not the digital with suck.
Here's the thing, Do anyone know of a great indoor FM antenna that works
Any tiny indoor antenna will be weak.

Go make yourself a dipole antenna tuned to the frequency you need for that preffered station.
https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/antennas-propagation/dipole-antenna/fm-dipole-antenna.php

You can use shielded cable 75ohm aka tv cable. (but it gets a weird t-joint hard to make.. so the speaker wire is an easy route but not perfect). If you need max boost, go with 75 ohm cable and keep the dipole straight in a pvc tube with a T splitter in the middle to keep the cable straigth, or ziptie it to a stick.

You can calculate the actual wavelength of the station here: http://www.onlineconversion.com/frequency_wavelength.htm

Tip: do not tie knots at ends, keep the antena in a PVC tube with caps and secure with hotglue. Add a pvc T fitting for that pvc tube in the middle to keep the diplole apart and at 90 degrees (also a add a piece of pvc tubing in the middle T fitting to keep the main cable away and perpendicular to the dipole antena). Add shielding (tinfoil wrap, aluminum tape, a coil of copper wire wraped around the wire, etc) for the part that goes from the radio to the T-split in the dipole.

Finetune the length by having the possibility to move a bit the T-split (or by cutting bits off the ends of the dipole a bit at a time.. but careful not to overshoot the desired frequency)

Dipoles can be made 1/4 wavelength (roughly 1.5m in total), or 1/2 (3m total), or go crazy with full length at 6m
If you have the vertical space in a yard you can go monopole with any heigth you want. like 4 x wavelength at 12m.

Keep in mind, any bought tiny antena will not be tuned to your specific frequency exactly, and here size matters. Regardles of marketing or price, or brand, a tiny antena is weak, and an ordinary speaker wire dipole will be better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alabalcho