Good for 3d creating and rendering ?

likeblue

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Alright, I've been looking around for a new pc and came across one that I think I'm gonna get. Before I do I was wondering if it would get the job done on what I plan on doing. I am into 3d, creating and rendering, and some gaming. My budget is around $1,000

I'm not into the building it yourself, I've tried messing around with the hardware and I've decided it is not for me! lols

So here are the specs

Intel Core i5-3470 processor
3.20GHz, 6MB Cache

8GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 32GB)
Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work

1TB SATA hard drive
Store 666,000 photos, 285,000 songs or 526 hours of HD video and more

24x DVD+/-RW Dual-Layer SuperMulti Drive
Watch movies, and read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats

10/100/1000 Ethernet
Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet

NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 Graphics
With 1GB dedicated graphics memory

Many thanks,
Mel

Mr_____

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Which programs you're using and what games you're playing is important. That graphics card is only a little bit better than my laptop's. I can run games like Bastion, Portal 2, and Super Street Fighter IV, but not Diablo III or Star Craft II.
Why not just give us a link to this computer on the company's website?

likeblue

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

For creating I'll be using blender and marvelous designer.
For rendering I would love to be able to use Luxrender or even cycles(blender).
Games are Two Worlds, Sims that kind of games that have high textures.

Mr_____

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
The GT 620 does support CUDA 2.1, so it could be used for cycles rendering, but it's still a pretty week one. Do a search for blender cycles benchmarks: I've seen a few forum threads where people post their GPU's render times. See if you can find what yours would be.
How much does this cost? If you built it yourself, I'd say it would cost around $600-$700.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
As I recall, blender is very CPU intensive. Not so much GPU dependent. Pro/rendering/creation apps that take advantage of CUDA/Nvidia GPUs are fairly common (like the Adobe Creative Suite), fewer take advantage of the AMD/ATI equivalent (Stream).

However, the drivers for both Nvidia and AMD/ATI profressional GPUs provide better support for professional apps. You can certainly use a gamer GPU to work with these apps, but they aren't optimized for them. The Quadros/FireXXX offerings do.

So, what does this mean? The suggested 620 will work fine for most creation apps per the OP's original system config. There are better choices, but they are more expensive.

Mr_____

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
With a gtx 560 ti or gtx 460, cycles rendering is about six times faster than using CPU rendering. Those are the two GPUs I've been considering buying, and blender is a major factor in it.

Heck, my 10 year old laptop runs blender fine. I've just got speed on the brain.

likeblue

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

So, I really need a gtx 560 ti or gtx 460. I need to go check the benchmarks too. I hate to spend money on something that is still slow and not able to do what I want. The graphics card is my mine concern, I believe I know about the RAM. Its just the graphics card that I am stuck on. I want to be able to use GPU instead of CPU. Luxrender you can use CPU or GPU just like blender cycles. As it stands right now I can't use luxrender cause my computer is too slow. I have no GPU and can only use CPU.

The above specs was from a desktop from wal-mart. I just knew that I would still have the same problems that I have now. I looked around at bestbuy too but again it was the GT 620 but the processor was a Intel Core i7-3770. link

Everyone wants better and faster. :sol:

I'll go on a search the gtx and the benchmarks and let you guys know what I come up with. lols

Thank you so much for the help! :love:

likeblue

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

Thanks hun I'll go and check it out.

likeblue

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

lols i was at dell eariler building my own and omg the one i want is like 4,000 lmao but i'll go and check out the outlet.

I went to cyberpowerpc too and it was around 1500 by the time i got down with the upgrades. so not too bad.

likeblue

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

I honestly don't know! lols I just picked the processor and graphics card. I wished I'd saved it now so i could give you a link but it was very close to 4k.

likeblue

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

Yes i figured that the i7 was better then the i5. I just didn't know which i7 to get. I'll go check it out in the next few days. As for the GTX 660ti I do not see it in the cycles blender benchmarks. The 580 rendered in like 46 secs on a i7 920. Which is just awesome! lols But I will take note of the GTX 660ti and see what i come up with in my research.

I've tried searching for the luxrender benchmarks. What i did find only list the type of processor they used and don't list the grapics card. It only says if they used OpenCL or noopenCL. So, more searching is to be done for luxrender.

I'll keep searching and let you guys know what I finally come up with. Thank you all for the wonderful help so far. <3

Mr_____

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
The 660ti just came out on the 16th, so nobody has it yet. I don't think an i7 would be necessary. Once you're at 3ghz quad-core, extra money would be better spent on a GPU.

Edit: A list of cycles benchmarks: http://oenvoyage.wordpress.com/2012/02/25/blender-cycles-best-hardware-using-the-benchmark-spreadsheet-analysis/

likeblue

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Alright, so i went and got a new pc over the weekend. I wanted to come back and tell you guys. Thanks for all the help and advice that everyone gave me!

So, I did a render in Blender cycles and downloaded the bench mark scene (the car at 200 samples). It completed in 6 min 29 sec CPU! I can live with that even though I can't do GPU. I tried luxrender as well and within an hour I have an excellent image rendered. I have not tried creating a model to see how it does but I think it'll be fine. Perhaps I'll upgrade my graphics card in the future now that I know what to look for.

Here are my specs.

Intel Core i5-2320 Processor @ 3.00 GHz
8GB DDR3 SDRAM
AMD Radeon HD 7350
Windows 7 64 bit