Good Free Software For Rendering and Video Game Editing

bananasnipa

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
Hello, I am looking for a good free software for editing video games for Youtube. I am starting a Youtube but I don't have a rendering software. I tried to use Windows Movie Maker but it doesnt look like it is working. If you have any ideas thanks a bunch :)

PS: would this be Open Source Software?

Solution
I was going to recommend Lightworks as well but I chose not to as the max output for the free version is 720p, as you mentioned. Most people these days are going to want at the minimum full HD. However, it is a great piece of software once you get the hang of it. I have just had better luck with Video Pad.

kira70591

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
I have had good luck with Video Pad Video Editor. I capture a lot of my desktop video with FFsplit and then edit the capture with Video Pad. There is always a better solution out there but I have had great luck with this so far. It can take a bit to learn the software but it is not horrible.

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
I would recommend Lightworks probably as number one. It's very versatile, has a ton of features for free software, and uses a full timeline, unlike Movie Maker and some more basic versions. However, it is limited in some regards, such as the free version's render output being capped at 720P. Also (in my experiences), sometimes when editing very large videos with a plethora of special effects and many cuts and clips from different sources, if the program is running for a long time, it will glitch out and eventually crash, and can only be restarted if the PC is rebooted. Again, this is just my personal experience.

VideoPad video editor is another great piece of free editing software. I haven't used this in quite some time, but it does offer a detailed timeline and some nice special features. It is a little more cumbersome to use than Lightworks and has fewer effects, but it still does let you do the essentials such as web cam or image overlays like some YouTubers like to do.

kira70591

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
I was going to recommend Lightworks as well but I chose not to as the max output for the free version is 720p, as you mentioned. Most people these days are going to want at the minimum full HD. However, it is a great piece of software once you get the hang of it. I have just had better luck with Video Pad.

Solution

bananasnipa

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014

I could only choose 1 solution but I would also choose yours, I just clicked his first.