[SOLVED] Good Gaming PC but Lag Spikes

Aug 1, 2019
So I have a good gaming PC (gtx 1080, intel i7- 7800, 600w power, 16gb ram) but i get lag spikes every 5-30 seconds that last 1-3 seconds. The lag spikes are very persistent and they occur at any time from when I just log in to after a 3 hour long gaming session (How long i have been using it doesn't effect how often it occurs). I decided to factory reset my PC, but I still have the same exact issue (Yes i have all the drivers i need installed). It appears to me that it is not my internet (I may be wrong), since the spikes occur even when i am offline using Microsoft word. I also think it could be my monitor since I set it to 144hz when it could only handle 120hz and set my other monitor to 120hz when it was only 60hz. The thing is though the lag spikes happen just as frequent on both monitors so I am pretty sure that it is still a PC problem. Does anyone have an Idea on what it could be? Any tips/troubleshooting suggestions help too. Thanks.

Solution
What game is it happening on? Battlefield 5 it happens to me at times, I make sure I find servers in the 37 ping range. Plus,you have a 1080 card, real good. Check out the settings for the game, play wired and reset router, unplug? By the way, you playing the games from the hd? You have more stuff than I have, anything else running on wireless? If offline, sounds like the hd, get another Ssd drive, real cheap and place games on that, keep us up to date, I hope you can figure it out, look me up and I can get you expert help on TS3.

Great program. https://www.userbenchmark.com/Software
Aug 1, 2019
full system spec? include make and model of the psu
what the cpu/gpu temp and usage during the issue? hdd/sdd/ram usage during the issue?

On the box it says Aeon 5003 Gaming Tower

Intel Core i7-8700 Coffee Lake 6 core 12 Thread
16BG DDR4
Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB
256GB SSD 2TB HDD

My computer temps range from 50-70 f and it happens evenly between 50 and 70f so i dont think gpu/cpu heat is the issue.

My GPU and CPU are ~40% usage
Ram is ~50% usage
HDD 1-30% usage
SDD ~5% usage

Btw in task manager it says my cpu base speed is 3.2ghz but under it on speed, it says its running from 3.8-4.2ghz is this a problem?

Last edited:

demyansk

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2007
What game is it happening on? Battlefield 5 it happens to me at times, I make sure I find servers in the 37 ping range. Plus,you have a 1080 card, real good. Check out the settings for the game, play wired and reset router, unplug? By the way, you playing the games from the hd? You have more stuff than I have, anything else running on wireless? If offline, sounds like the hd, get another Ssd drive, real cheap and place games on that, keep us up to date, I hope you can figure it out, look me up and I can get you expert help on TS3.

Great program. https://www.userbenchmark.com/Software

Last edited:
Solution