Question Good gaming PC slows down by ALOT when an antivirus is scanning, yet in task manager everything is below 10%

Hallahawk665

Prominent
Jun 17, 2020
Whenever an antivirus (so far this happened with malwarebytes and windows defender) is doing a scan in the background my gaming PC slows down ALOT more than it should (for example, it takes about a second to open files when normally it's instantaneous, and in minecraft my fps decreases to 30-40, absolutely unacceptable for these specs). And the weird thing is that I checked task manager while one of these scans was running but everything in there is below 10% usage (including disk usage). The only things I changed in the BIOS were the fan speed settings, but I ended up changing those back to their defaults. I don't remember messing with anything else in there. Any help would be very appreciated. P.S. This is a prebuilt PC from a local company that imports components and builds PCs for profit, so it's not a big brand.

Specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • 16GB DDR4 RAM
  • 480GB Intenso SATA 3 SSD (windows 10 boot drive)
  • 2TB HDD
  • Nvidia RTX 2070 by Zotac
  • ASRock motherboard
  • Idk the power supply

Last edited:
Let windows fully scan your computer, once completed it should allow you to game. You must remember that Microsoft Windows is in control and your priorities are at the bottom of the list. For me as soon as I turn on the internet and open a browser it's windows update in the way (even tho it's not scheduled for several weeks)