Good Gpu for core 2 duo

Miss__magnfiicent

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
I'd like to play sim city and the sims on high/ultra.

1600x900
Core 2 duo e7400@2.8ghz
4GB RAM
Optiplex 760 sff
Price range of under £85

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
At that price range, most graphics cards aren't really worth it. They tend to be mostly cards designed to add more monitor outputs, not for gaming. This is further complicated by the fact that your computer won't allow us to use full-size graphics cards, and the PSU probably won't output enough power for anything particularly good.

If you do insist on adding a card, there seem to be a few GT 740's around that price range or cheaper, but you have to make sure to find a low-profile version so it will fit inside the case. I'd be surprised if these can't play Sims games at 900p, but I think I recall there are several versions of the 740, so some of them will perform differently.

I would also consider looking for used stuff. You can probably get a 750 or 750 Ti, which might still work if you can find a low profile card, and will give you noticeably more power. It won't be easy to find a card that will work very well in that case, though.

Bakua

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015

And you say this why? 750Tis are relatively cheap for their performance, you can usually find them for around $70~(53£)

ikaz

Distinguished
(assuming new) if you can find them I would go for that I just did a quick search on PCparts picker and amazon uk couldn't find any but I only spend about 5min searching so if you can find one in his budget then I would recommend it as well.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I agree with Ikaz. I couldn't find any 750 Ti's new in the given price range. Closest was a few 750's that wouldn't fit in the case. If the budget is flexible, that would be a great graphics card, but if we must stick to the budget you'll need to hunt for a very good price on the 750 Ti.