[SOLVED] Good GPU pair for i5 9600k

Jun 11, 2019
So, I have recently upgraded basically my entire PC. Old PC was 8 GB ddr3 1600 memory, i5 3470, 1050ti, and no SSD. I upgraded to i5 9600k, 16 GB ddr4 3000 mhz, NVME SSD drive, and kept the 1050 ti. I've concluded for myself that the 1050 ti SEVERELY holds back the i5 9600k of maximum capability. So I have been looking at new GPUs's watching benchmark comparisons and all that. From what I have seen, RTX 2060 is almost similar to a 1070 ti (correct if I am wrong). SO, now for my actual question. Is a RTX 2060 a good pair for all my new PC specs? Or would you suggest a different GPU around the same price range?

Solution
acer ed242qr A
Ok, according to AMD's FreeSync Monitor List, that's got a FreeSync Range of 48-144 (DisplayPort) or 48-120 (HDMI), and has LFC (Low Framerate Compensation) so it can actually adapt down to 24fps if need be.

A 1660 Super would be plenty. A 5600 XT or 2060 (non super) would be better. However, this deal, at NewEgg, if you're in the US, for the MSI Evoke OC 5700 can't be beat, because, after the instant code and after the mail-in rebate, it comes to $272.99, which is cheaper than just about every 5600 XT out there, and performs better.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The CPU is (mostly) irrelevant.

• What is your monitor's resolution?
  • What is your monitor's refresh rate?
  • Does your monitor have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
    • If FreeSync, what is the FreeSync range?
  • What specific games do you ant to play?

Jun 11, 2019
The CPU is (mostly) irrelevant.

• What is your monitor's resolution?
  • What is your monitor's refresh rate?
  • Does your monitor have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
    • If FreeSync, what is the FreeSync range?
  • What specific games do you ant to play?
I am on a 1920x1080 monitor at 144 hz. I enjoy games like CS:GO. Rust, Rainbow Six Siege, and modded Grand Theft Auto V. And yes, I have enabled G-Sync

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
But, does the monitor itself have GSync, or FreeSync?

Nvidia calls GSync GSync, but, when using a FreeSync monitor, Nvidia's drivers still call it . . GSync . . even though the monitor does NOT have a GSync unit.

If your monitor has FreeSync, then both Nvidia and AMD cards can use the adaptive sync feature. If the monitor specifically has GSync and NOT FreeSync, then only Nvidia cards can use the adaptive sync feature.

Jun 11, 2019

Nvidia calls GSync GSync, but, when using a FreeSync monitor, Nvidia's drivers still call it . . GSync . . even though the monitor does NOT have a GSync unit.

If your monitor has FreeSync, then both Nvidia and AMD cards can use the adaptive sync feature. If the monitor specifically has GSync and NOT FreeSync, then only Nvidia cards can use the adaptive sync feature.
How do I check if I have G-Sync?

Defenestrator IX

Prominent
May 10, 2019

I'd say go for either the RTX 2060 or Radeon RX 5600 XT, as they have similar performance. But if you have a TRUE G-Sync monitor, you will not be able to use the feature with AMD. Also be sure not to use HDMI with a Nvidia card, as G-Sync is NOT supported over HDMI (I leaned the hard way).

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
acer ed242qr A
Ok, according to AMD's FreeSync Monitor List, that's got a FreeSync Range of 48-144 (DisplayPort) or 48-120 (HDMI), and has LFC (Low Framerate Compensation) so it can actually adapt down to 24fps if need be.

A 1660 Super would be plenty. A 5600 XT or 2060 (non super) would be better. However, this deal, at NewEgg, if you're in the US, for the MSI Evoke OC 5700 can't be beat, because, after the instant code and after the mail-in rebate, it comes to $272.99, which is cheaper than just about every 5600 XT out there, and performs better.

Solution

Defenestrator IX

Prominent
May 10, 2019

Wow. If only I needed a new GPU and tolerated AMD's software better.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Wow. If only I needed a new GPU and tolerated AMD's software better.
I can say that, on Saturday, we upgraded my son's PC from an RX 580 to the RX 5700. We used DDU first, just to be sure, got the latest WHQL (20.2.2) drivers from AMD and installed, set up our preferences (enabling Chill and setting an FPS min and max), and everything was fine.

My son was gaming for a few hours every day since that install, from Saturday the 21st through Wednesday the 25th, inclusive. Not a single problem among the various games he played the entire time.