Good Graphics Card for Gaming

KillermanGabe

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014
Hello everybody. I am looking for a new graphics card as my current one is crap and seek recommendations.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: February 10th, 2015

BUDGET RANGE: Anything up to $200 USD

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, mainly Steam games like Rust, RUSE, Garry's Mod, and Rendering videos.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: My current GPU is an integrated AMD Radeon HD 7480D. My power supply is a 600W Cosair CX Series CX600; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: My CPU is an AMD A4-5300 on an MSI FM2-A55M-E33 motherboard. I have 8GB of DDR3 memory.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I prefer newegg.com but any website I can buy online is fine.

PARTS PREFERENCES: I prefer an Nvidia graphics card. It must have GDDR5 memory.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I run a dual monitor setup, my main monitor, the one I use to play games on and such on has a 1920x1080 resolution. My second monitor I do not use to stretch games across on but for any additional program I may have open or multitasking. This one has a 1280x1024 resolution.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: The card must be able to run most games on medium-high settings with at least 40-60FPS. I mainly play Rust, RUSE, Call of Duty, and other Steam games. I usually don't play games that require a high end graphics card to handle. Also I have been looking at the MSI AMD R9 270X GAMING 2G card. Is that any good?

Best regards,
Gabriel G.

It's a pretty easy victory by gtx 960 as the 200 dollar price point. R9 280 may have better specs on paper, but loses to 960 in actual gaming performance. For rendering, your cpu will be much more important than gpu unless your going to break the bank and get a gtx Titan.

Well, the gtx 960 would beat 280 by about 10 percent at 1080p with much better thermals and power consumption. Gtx 960 and 285 seem to perform identical, but the gtx 960 wins again in power consumption and heat. I guess the only thing the 280 is got going for it is 3 gb of vram.