Question Good Graphics cards around the £130-200 margin that don't get very hot?

Pythonbites

Reputable
Feb 19, 2017
Hello, are there any good graphics cards that will run games smoothly (no stutter caused by the graphics card) at 60 frames per seconds on the high and medium settings? While also not being a furnace? (I am on a pretty tight budget at the moment so no i can unfortunatey not shell out more money for a better card, if that is what you will say) Thanks for any help.
P.S I did get a 1050 2gb but i have to stay to low settings if i wanted no stutter so i returned it.

specs:
Ryzen 5 2600x
PSU: EVGA W1 600w 80+ (600 watts 80+)
mobo: Asus Prime B450-Plus
Case: Aerocool Cylon Mid-Tower white.

Last edited:

Pythonbites

Reputable
Feb 19, 2017
The new GTX 1660 came out, it should do well in modern games. I don't know about the overheating though, as it is a single fan. If your too worried about it overheating, this dual GTX 1060 6GB would do.
Wow, that looks really good. Just a question though, do i need good airflow for it? Because my case chokes its front fans quite alot and if i added an intake to the top it would make negative airflow and it would not take the heat expelled by the graphics card out of the case. Thanks.

OF_freeCn

Commendable
Apr 12, 2019
Wow, that looks really good. Just a question though, do i need good airflow for it? Because my case chokes its front fans quite alot and if i added an intake to the top it would make negative airflow and it would not take the heat expelled by the graphics card out of the case. Thanks.
Not really, as long as you have a decent rear fan that does its job properly. Bear in mind that the GPU fans don't help too much, especially if the case inside is hot. All it would do is spread the hot air around your case even more.

What do you mean by "chokes it's front fans quite a lot"? They either work, or they don't? There are NO graphics cards beyond the most basic models that don't need adequate cooling, and forget the idea of making a top fan location an intake. There are no configurations where a top intake fan is acceptable except on some few AIO liquid cooling configurations with top mounted radiators, and I'm of the opinion that even then it is much better to either front mount or top mount the radiator as an exhaust type orientation.

Top intake fans are directly contradictory to the natural stack effect aspect of case cooling where denser cool air moves downward and causes warm air to move upwards. Heat doesn't actively TRY to rise, but it does get forced up inside a case or room, so putting an intake fan there completely borks the whole natural process. Intake fans should almost always either be on the front, bottom or side of the case. Exhaust fans should be in the top and rear of the case. PSU should be it's own system unless it's a very old case with a top mounted power supply.

If you don't have adequate cooling, with at least one good, working intake in front or bottom and one exhaust fan in the rear, you are going to have problems no matter what gaming card you choose.

I'd recommend some flavor of either the GTX 1060 6GB, RX 580 or GTX 1660 for your configuration, however, that W1 series EVGA power supply is not very good and is definitely not recommended for long term use with any moderately capable gaming card. It will almost certainly die an early death and hopefully that process doesn't involve harming the graphics card or motherboard when it does. A better power supply would be highly recommended before moving to any of these gaming card models.

TRENDING THREADS