Good Ground for Anti-Static Wrist Strap

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Hi all,

I'm building a computer (my first build) that uses some very expensive (to me) components and am concerned about damaging said components with static discharges.

I live in an extremely dry climate and the ONLY place I can build this computer is in a carpeted room. LOTS of static electricity is generated by even the slightest movements in my house. My wife and I are constantly shocking each other and everything else around here. It sort of sux. I considered going barefoot while building the computer, but it's damned cold in this house.....

Anyway, I was in Scotland a few months back and bought this nice anti-static wrist strap:

Lindy Anti-Static Wrist Strap

Here are the instructions that came with this wrist strap:

WristStrapInstructionsE.jpg

As you can see, the manufacturer directs that I attach the grounding strap lead to the computer case, which they direct shall, in turn, via the PSU, be connected to the ground receptacle in the wall socket. However, this won't work for me, since I've not yet installed my PSU into my computer case (I think it is going to be easier to install the mobo with the PSU uninstalled).

I searched around a few places and discovered that many authoritative sources recommend that an anti-static wrist strap's grounding lead be connected, either directly or indirectly, to the ground receptacle in a wall socket.

For instance, PCWorld recommends that the wrist strap be grounded to the wall socket's ground receptacle:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/82184/avoid_static_damage_to_your_pc.html

CompTIA's A+ (Aplus) Certification exams consider the wrist strap being grounded (indirectly) to the wall socket's ground receptacle as the correct choice, if you want to get the correct answer on said exams:

http://www.pccomputernotes.com/esd/esd2.htm

In addition, eHow recommends that same thing (indirect connection):

http://www.ehow.com/how_7566000_use-antistatic-wristbands-mats.html

as does http://www.build-your-own-cheap-computer.com/static-electricity.html

I could go on and on, but that's not the point of this post. Since I am personally more comfortable with being grounded to the Earth, I'm considering connecting the grounding lead of my wrist strap directly to the ground receptacle in my wall outlet. During my research, I found some sources that suggest that I just need to be at the same potential as my computer case (which, according to said sources, can be "standalone" with respect to any other electrical conductors), but the very specific manufacturer instructions for my wrist strap suggest otherwise.

I live in the U.S. and my house's electrical system is grounded in accordance with the 1995 US Electrical Code. Being the skeptic, I tested the wall socket I'd be using with this little Ground Tester I had out in the garage, and all was copasetic.

Does anyone think I'll fry my new computer if I connect the ground lead of my wrist strap directly to the ground receptacle in my wall outlet?

TIA!

Solution

Static wristbands have high resistance to prevent this from happening. As long as the wrist band tests good (1 megohm for 250V, 500k for 120 iirc) you can plug it into the ground plug and grab a live wire safely with your other hand, if you so choose.

OP: If you want to take safety to an extreme here, check the strap resistance first, then plug it into the ground outlet. Anywhere from 500kish to 100 Meg+ is fine

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011

et,

At last.....some hard data based on actual physics and not hearsay or idle contentions!

Hooray for you! I had forgotten all about that!

A VOM verifies that my wrist strap has one mega-ohm resistance.

Yep, what you say makes sense.....grounding such a wrist strap in the grounding receptacle of my electrical outlet is perfectly safe. If one were to do that, however, it certainly would not hurt to open the circuit breaker on that circuit.

Good stuff.....now we're makin' real progress!

des74

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Lmao, holy **** dude. Just plug the anti static wristband to your case and build. Take your socks off, and build. Jeez man, you don't even need one of those things, just touch the case before you touch the parts. Oh and if you're really that paranoid, build naked and put the anti static wristband to your case.

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Paranoid? try falling out of the sky :D

Anyhow, seriously mate just...... get over yourself ;)

Who said anything about paranoia? I certainly didn't!

Since you mentioned it, though, you want paranoia? Try piloting an F-16 in an inverted deep stall, transitioning into a spiral/spin, falling at over 30,000 feet per minute, with an uncertified, asymmetric load on the wings. That will pucker your little balloon-knot.....and fast!

However, we used to say that YOU guys were the ones who were truly brain-damaged! Who would want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane? (vbg).

And mate, telling an A-10 pilot to get over himself.....you know better than that! Perhaps we'll have to get together and swap lies in a dark, smoky pub the next time I'm over there. I'll buy the first round!

BTW, do you have many jumps from C-17s? I took part in that test program long ago.....without the mods we made to that bird, you guys would have been morted wholesale if you tried jumping out of that thing. My DIL is a C-17 pilot, she's in the sandbox as we speak.....on her fourth deployment. We must never forget that it's kids like her (and you) that make our cushy lifestyles possible!

There I go, off topic again. But, you started it! (vbg)

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011

des,

I'm happy to be providing your some entertainment! (vbg)

I tried the barefoot thing.....about got frostbite! It's damned cold in this house!

I don't even want to think about doing it naked. If someone peeks in the window, they'll likely die from the hideous sight (did I mention that I was old?)! Then, I'll have to deal with a lawsuit. (vbg)

Anyway, for various reasons, I'd prefer not attaching the wrist strap grounding lead to the case, unless said case is grounded to earth. See this link (from PCWorld, no less):

Here is a germane excerpt:

If you're daring and careful, you can still keep yourself and the computer at the same electrical potential by constantly touching the case while installing an upgrade, but it's a juggling act. And if you accidentally touch something with a different electrical potential--such as the tabletop the computer is sitting on--all bets are off.

Sounds like a risk I don't care to take with my extremely expensive and delicate components.

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
I am not too clued up on aircraft, however our jumps were from the "Globemaster" a big huge carrier plane.
We departed from the rear of the plane...
And as for being brain damaged, i am not the one with static problems...
BTW stay on topic as mods do not care too much for personal life style...

Thanks for the heads-up.....

Globemaster = C-17, btw.

G

Go ahead and plug into the wall outlet but do remember, the concern of damaging differences of potential are not from your wall outlet to the devices, it's the differences from the case (and anything connected to it), and the new devices about to be plugged into a MB or whatever that is in said case. But your wall outlet thanks you for protecting it so well.

All this protection does Nothing to protect the devices that may be highly charged, or otherwise elevated from the now dead-to-earth hand that is about to pick them up for placement. See that tiny spark as the devices discharge to your lower-potential hand ! There's no way out of this paranoia so just have one hand on the case and pick up your devices by their frame or bracket and put them in the case.

Pilot? I think you'd be too scared to fly. I saw another post where the OP was given good advice and hid under their blanket, so the responding poster said something like "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink."

I'm done.

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
BoM,

My comments in bold italics.

Go ahead and plug into the wall outlet but do remember, the concern of damaging differences of potential are not from your wall outlet to the devices, it's the differences from the case (and anything connected to it), and the new devices about to be plugged into a MB or whatever that is in said case. But your wall outlet thanks you for protecting it so well.

All this protection does Nothing to protect the devices that may be highly charged, or otherwise elevated from the now dead-to-earth hand that is about to pick them up for placement. See that tiny spark as the devices discharge to your lower-potential hand ! There's no way out of this paranoia so just have one hand on the case and pick up your devices by their frame or bracket and put them in the case.

Yep, I'm aware of that. I'm merely trying to protect myself against a situation averred to in my PCWorld reference (and several other places), that could occur if your ground is one with limited capacitance:

Here is a germane excerpt:

"If you're daring and careful, you can still keep yourself and the computer at the same electrical potential by constantly touching the case while installing an upgrade, but it's a juggling act. And if you accidentally touch something with a different electrical potential--such as the tabletop the computer is sitting on--all bets are off."

What they're talking about here is the builder-case system acquiring a relatively large potential when compared to the surrounding environment. Then, when said builder touches something that is close to the earth's potential (e.g. that mobo lying on the table).....BOOM (at least in my house)! This is why I am more comfortable with having the builder-case system grounded to earth in the first place. Call it a personal foible.....nobody should be offended by this harmless affectation.

Pilot? I think you'd be too scared to fly.

With all due respect, sir (or madam), there is absolutely no (none, zilch, nada) correlation between risking your life and risking your treasure. This I know to be true. My record speaks for itself. 'Nuff said!

I saw another post where the OP was given good advice and hid under their blanket, so the responding poster said something like "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink."

I'm done.

Thanks, however, for sharing your expertise. Please remember that disagreement in no way implies a lack of respect.

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
I earlier posted a method to safely ground a wrist strap to your house's ground circuit. Even though I specified that my method was to be used only in houses in which the electrical systems are in strict compliance with modern U.S. electrical codes, the entire thread was pulled by the mods, who deemed it as being "unsafe." I was a bit surprised by this action, to say the least. The whole episode made me wonder if a statement like, "I like to ride motorcycles without wearing a helmet!" would get me banned altogether from this forum.

Well, as we've seen in this thread, which has had over 340 views on the world's premier computer hardware forum, there is nothing inherently unsafe about the grounding method I'm addressing.

With the concurrence of the mods, I'd like to end this thread (finally) with a post detailing my method. If I don't see something from one of the mods in this thread in at least the next 24 hours, I'll assume that they don't have a problem with me posting the method.

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
An Anal Retentive’s Guide to Wrist Strap Grounding

I came up with a grounding method that I’m comfortable with. For 99% of you, this will be overkill. This method is for the other 1% if you......the anal retentives. This method was adopted after a very informative exchange of ideas on the world’s foremost computer hardware forum, Tom’s (see the previous posts).

WARNING: Before trying this, please, please ensure that the following four conditions have been met:

1. You are at least 21 years of age.

2. You have opened the circuit breaker corresponding to the circuit feeding the electrical outlet you are going to utilize.

3. Said grounding circuit is in compliance with the latest United States Electrical Codes.
4. Said grounding circuit has passed a comprehensive inspection that was conducted by a fully licensed, certified, and bonded Master Electrician, who is a card-carrying member of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers and who specializes in residential inspections.

Now, let’s get to work.

Everyone has at least one old PSU power cable lying around. I grabbed one and removed the two power prongs using a hacksaw:

ModifiedPlugE.jpg

This step was not absolutely necessary, but mitigates a few major hazards for very little effort expended.....a good tradeoff, IMO!

Next, grab a small drill bit (a 3/32” drill bit worked perfectly in my case) and push it far enough into the other end of the now-modified power cable such that it makes contact with the ground lead:

DrillBitE.jpg

It is a good idea to check that your connections are good. Grab you a VOM, set it to resistance, plug one of the VOM’s probes into the ground hole of an outlet, and plug the modified end of your power cable into another outlet’s (that is on the same circuit) ground hole. Finally, contact the drill bit with the VOM’s other probe. The VOM should indicate continuity. If it does, then you’ve got a good setup:

ContinuityCheckE.jpg

Here is a shot of the grounding point I used during a recent build. The black clamp is connected to my wrist strap and the green jumper cable gets connected to the computer case:

GroundingClampsE.jpg

And, there you go. Both you and the case are “one” with a common, huge capacitance ground!

johndossier

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2013
Reading this brought me some very fond memories of my grandfather. He was an instruction manual nut and would always stop me when we had purchased some new gizmo and say "read the directions!" and I would get great pleasure from ninja assembling it while he was busy reading. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.