Good GTX 1080

jimmy.ackerman

Prominent
Sep 2, 2018
Hello!

So I plan on building my first PC in a week or two and I am currently trying to decide on the best graphics card. I would like a GTX 1080, but the more I look between MSI, EVGA and Asus the more confused I get. The prices are from 450$ to nearly 600$ for a card with (from what I can tell) only minor differences. Should I spend less or spend more and get what I could have gotten for less?

- I have been looking at the MSI Duke and the Asus STRIX -

Thanks in advance for shedding some light on the confusing mess of GTX 1080s.

Solution
Jimmy, I just picked up the Asus Strix GTX 1080 Last night to pair it with my Asus Strix X370-F Gaming motherboard. (i had been on the fence a while too) It runs in the low 60's during gaming, clocked to 1.97 ghz with the only change being power to 120%, gpu temp 92c and it looks great and is easy to sync with Aura.

jimmy.ackerman

Prominent
Sep 2, 2018
Thanks for the quick reply! This is what I have so far:

Intel Core i5-8600K

ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)

CORSAIR TXM Series, TX650M, 550 Watt

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
Since you have that Motherboard, pickup the Asus STRIX card so you can use Asus AURA sync. All the cards will perform very similar as they're the same chip just with different factory overclocks and coolers. So as long as it's a solid cooler, you can't go wrong with either of the cards regardless. Hope this helps! :)

dederedmi5plus

Prominent
Aug 17, 2018
I'd go for lowest price as long as it new not used or refurbished, there're two type of PCB, reference (founder edition PCB) and taller (STRIX, FTW, etc) usually the taller PCB has two 8 pin PEG connector to ensure more wattage can be supplied because the VRM design allowed above reference GP104 power rate,

I'd choose EVGA FTW2

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
Jimmy, I just picked up the Asus Strix GTX 1080 Last night to pair it with my Asus Strix X370-F Gaming motherboard. (i had been on the fence a while too) It runs in the low 60's during gaming, clocked to 1.97 ghz with the only change being power to 120%, gpu temp 92c and it looks great and is easy to sync with Aura.

Solution

Ahh, okay that makes sense. All good then.

jimmy.ackerman

Prominent
Sep 2, 2018
Thank you everyone for your reply’s! I will probably get the ASUS STRX due to the combination of Aura Sync, much better warranty support, and I personally prefer the look of it. I will try to snag it when the price drops a little (They have been fluctuating a lot this past few days)

- Thanks again for your help -