Question Good Hardware but games stutter ?

Hydroshot

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
Here are my specs down to detail:
MSI 350m gaming pro mobo
Ryzen 1600 OC slightly to 3.4 ghz ( game booster option in bios)
RX 480 8GB ( latest adrenaline driver installed, i haven't tired uninstalling yet)
2x4 G.skill Ripjaws 5 2400 mhz ( really hope ram is compatible with everything :/ )
Seagate 1tb HHD ( i feel like this drive is getting old and might be dying because its slow as Hell sometimes)
620w HGC psu

The stuttering really depends on the games im playing, more demanding games do tend to stutter a bit more. The stuttering is very inconsistent but sometimes its persistent depending on the game and load. Between the stuttering spasms the fps is actually really good 70-80 fps in battlefield 1 for example.. its hard to explain since its so random at times, whenever im playing battlefield 1 my cpu isn't even under that much stress at all, although it is using about 6.5-7Gb of my 8GB of ram i dont really see this being a problem unless there is a compatibility issue but there is definitely some kind of handshake issue where my components are not communicating with each other properly. Im really confused and frustrated at this point and i have no idea where to turn too or even begin diagnosing the problem so some help with this would be great ! Thank You

Edit: i do also know this could be a wide range of issues and im willing to diagnose anything !

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
You have the latest and correct GPU driver installed? I have experienced really slow HDDs cause microstuttering, it's usually pretty apparent if you look straight on and walk sideways in a FPS game. I have not experienced issues using nearly all of my ram, my old system only had 8gb of ram which BF1 nearly tapped out, probably even dipped into the page file a bit, I never noticed any stuttering.

This wouldn't apply to other games but DX12 mode in BF1 tanks frame times on most systems and that will certainly cause stuttering.

Hydroshot

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
You have the latest and correct GPU driver installed? I have experienced really slow HDDs cause microstuttering, it's usually pretty apparent if you look straight on and walk sideways in a FPS game. I have not experienced issues using nearly all of my ram, my old system only had 8gb of ram which BF1 nearly tapped out, probably even dipped into the page file a bit, I never noticed any stuttering.

This wouldn't apply to other games but DX12 mode in BF1 tanks frame times on most systems and that will certainly cause stuttering.
Yes they are the latest version drivers, im beginning to think its my hard drive not certain tho..

ryzengamer

Great
Mar 19, 2019
win 10 uses 1GB RAM after the boot. Your OS can be swapping when a game uses 7GB of RAM. Swapping is slow and you should avoid swapping. Debian testing Xfce uses 300MB of RAM after the boot. Debian has 51 000 software packages in virus free servers around the world and memory and disk usage of Linux applications is much smaller than with windows applications. More RAM might help too. SSDs speed up loading times. The Battlefield 1 game and thousands of other windows games run fine with wine-staging and DXVK.
winehq appdb

Apr 13, 2019
Uninstall the MSI nahimic audio driver it helps me fixing sttutering on Dying Light and Metro exodus. Just Install the Realtek. Also if u can install another Ram for Dual channel. . try stop and disble Windows virtualization Service.

Last edited: