[SOLVED] Good Internet but Extremely High Ping.

May 2, 2020
As the title states, I have amazing internet, I have AT&T Fiber which runs me 900+ mbs down/up. The Issue I am having, that I cannot isolate is. my ping/latency to games is 300-400% higher than normal normally I will ping 35ms in game but as of the last 2 days I have pinged 300-500 ping in game consistently. I have done so much troubleshooting, but gladly to do it again to provide results. I am hardwired in as well. Thank you, all support is appreciated.

Solution
Lets say the problem is in level3 or maybe telia or some other ISP that is not yours. What can you do about this you do not pay those ISP for any service.

You only pay your ISP and they will clearly tell you that they only promise the bandwidth between your house and their network. Even that they don't actually promise they use words like "up to".

So if the problem is not in your ISP how can they fix it. Just like you they have no access to routers outside their network.

Now maybe you can get a different ISP at your house that takes a different path. A variation of this is to try to use a gaming vpn service and hope they have a different path that bypasses this problem.

Still it was only a couple days ago that...
So what is the ping time to some server like 8.8.8.8.

You can run tracert to the game servers and see if you can see which node the problem is in. There is very little you can do though if the problem is say in the game company ISP. There are many reasons for this but many times when the latency suddenly increases is because something failed and some ISP in the path is running on a backup connection. Let say you live in austrilia and use servers in singapore. The direct fiber gets cut and the ISP switch to the fiber that goes to the USA. Your data must now travel more distance and has higher latency. There could also be more load on the backup fiber because it now is carry it original traffic plus the extra backup traffic.

Hard to say generally you will only be able to fix issues in the first 2 hops of a tracert.

May 2, 2020
So I ran a couple tracert tests to google.com as I read that is a good basis, I copied and pasted the results here, additionally it seems that when i have these consistent spikes my ping is better to just about any other server EU, Middle East, Asia.. etc its really tough to figure this out. I did contact my ISP I just want to be prepared to give them all the info when they get here.
1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms
2 5 ms 8 ms 8 ms
3 5 ms 3 ms 4 ms
4 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
5 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
6 10 ms 7 ms 6 ms
7 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms
8 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms
9 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms
10 24 ms 28 ms 22 ms
11 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms
12 625 ms 733 ms 724 ms
13 106 ms 105 ms 102 ms
14 589 ms 596 ms 592 ms
15 35 ms 35 ms 35 ms
16 35 ms 35 ms 35 ms

Lets say the problem is in level3 or maybe telia or some other ISP that is not yours. What can you do about this you do not pay those ISP for any service.

You only pay your ISP and they will clearly tell you that they only promise the bandwidth between your house and their network. Even that they don't actually promise they use words like "up to".

So if the problem is not in your ISP how can they fix it. Just like you they have no access to routers outside their network.

Now maybe you can get a different ISP at your house that takes a different path. A variation of this is to try to use a gaming vpn service and hope they have a different path that bypasses this problem.

Still it was only a couple days ago that someone was posting a issue like this and the problem was in riot games network itself. It only happened when connecting to their network from certain countries.

Solution