[SOLVED] Good internet but high ping

Jan 5, 2022
I recently had an outage in my area nearly 2 weeks ago, I had a Field tech come out yesterday and check why me and my brother are getting high ping in games. For example before the outage I was getting nearly 20 ping on siege and now I'm running 60 plus, I contacted my internet provider and I was told it was on the games end when however that isn't the only game that I run high ping on. I have what I'd consider decent internet 900 mbps and around 40 upload with 7 ping on Ookla speed test, any ideas why I'm running high ping randomly?

Solution
Your ping times are very consistent and that is what is most important to a game. You have a completely different issue if it is disconnecting discord and netflix. People run netflix via vpn from other countries at over 500ms with no issues.

Seeing a outage on netflix or discard means you are either getting a lot of packet loss or the internet is actually going down for a short time.

You need to do more testing and see if the ping command shows outages or other issue when the other apps have problems.

You can also run tracert to some locations but without having a tracert to compare it to from when you said it was less will make it hard to see where something changes. You can not do anything about the path the data...
High ping times are really only cause by 2 things....ignoring wifi which you should not use for games

The primary one when things are working well is distance. You can not do anything about the path your data takes so any increase would be something like you are running on a backup fiber path.
The second would be data being held in a buffer because some connection is overloaded. It is not likely you are overloading a fast connection like your but check to verify. A overload that is someplace else in the network you can do nothing about.

I would leave a ping run to 8.8.8.8 in the background. See if get corresponding spikes when the game says it get spikes. Games are affected by many things and will blame the network when it is actually some issue inside the game.

Check that you do not have any "gamer" network software installed. It comes bundled with motherboards and video cards and will sometime get install unless you are careful to uncheck boxes. One common one is called CFOSspeed but there are many names. Anything that talks about giving games priority or QoS should be uninstalled.

Jan 5, 2022
High ping times are really only cause by 2 things....ignoring wifi which you should not use for games

The primary one when things are working well is distance. You can not do anything about the path your data takes so any increase would be something like you are running on a backup fiber path.
The second would be data being held in a buffer because some connection is overloaded. It is not likely you are overloading a fast connection like your but check to verify. A overload that is someplace else in the network you can do nothing about.

I would leave a ping run to 8.8.8.8 in the background. See if get corresponding spikes when the game says it get spikes. Games are affected by many things and will blame the network when it is actually some issue inside the game.

Check that you do not have any "gamer" network software installed. It comes bundled with motherboards and video cards and will sometime get install unless you are careful to uncheck boxes. One common one is called CFOSspeed but there are many names. Anything that talks about giving games priority or QoS should be uninstalled.

No matter what I ping I'm getting around 60 ms, I just tried what you had recommended (8.8.8.8) and it game back Minimum = 40ms, Maximum = 44ms, Average = 42ms. What could I do to solve my issue? I can't even use discord, netflix, or play a game without getting disconnected. I'm using a 50 ft ethernet cord straight to the modem. I just got the router less than a month ago which was running fine before the outage.

Your ping times are very consistent and that is what is most important to a game. You have a completely different issue if it is disconnecting discord and netflix. People run netflix via vpn from other countries at over 500ms with no issues.

Seeing a outage on netflix or discard means you are either getting a lot of packet loss or the internet is actually going down for a short time.

You need to do more testing and see if the ping command shows outages or other issue when the other apps have problems.

You can also run tracert to some locations but without having a tracert to compare it to from when you said it was less will make it hard to see where something changes. You can not do anything about the path the data takes anyway you only have control of hop 1 (your router) and the hop 2 (your connection to the ISP).

Solution