[SOLVED] Good internet speed, Random ping spikes which go upto 1000ms

madhur20rocks

Reputable
Nov 16, 2017
My internet has good speed which has never given any problems to me, but i keep getting random ping spikes which go upto 1000ms, it happens on every device, phone/pc and on both ethernet and wifi. this happens in games in-game spike, during video call, or talking to someone no discord. ive done some ping test ping test 1 ping test 2, both of these test i did while playing a song on discord through groovy and when the ping went up, the song paused. i read in another post here to do cmd tests. i did 2 test,
1st test was to my router and it was normal since every ping was either =1 or <1
2nd test was to my isp and in that test it showed the same ping spike problem ping test to my isp
3rd test was to google and it showed same result as isp google ping test
all these 3 test i did while listening to groovy bot on discord. and each time there was a ping spike, the bot stopped
these spikes are random, sometimes they happen every minute(every round of cs) or sometimes they take a few minutes to happen. Also ive noticed that i dont get these spikes at night when i play cs (0-5am) but start getting it in the morning

Please help and thank you

Last edited:
Solution
The problem just ping the router is the traffic only talks to the LAN side of the cpu chip. If there is some issue in the logic going lan-wan or the modem you can't really test this. If the modem and router are combines not much you can do. This is to avoid the standard ISP blames your router.

If you were to say backup some device to cloud storage it is really easy to use up 20mbps. Lately people have been having this type of issue because they are now running zoom video conference. It does not use a lot but if you only have 1mbps upload like some DSL connection have it is easy to overload it.

The ISP will claim there is no problems. There is a device that converts the cable to fiber. What the ISP will do is...
Apr 26, 2021
Try disconnecting all devices except one, maybe pc and then check if problem still happens, if it does you can check in task manager under performance what is using your internet, if nothing suspicious is there i'd just call ISP and let them check

Reactions: madhur20rocks

madhur20rocks

Reputable
Nov 16, 2017
Try disconnecting all devices except one, maybe pc and then check if problem still happens, if it does you can check in task manager under performance what is using your internet, if nothing suspicious is there i'd just call ISP and let them check
Since i used to be home alone, my pc was the only connected device and the problem still occurred. Also this problem occurs on all devices, so i dont think checking task manager will help

Do you have a modem and router separate. Can you plug into the modem directly. It is unlikely but this is to check for a router bug.

If we were to assume it is in the connection between your house and your ISP then something is overloading the connection. Be very sure to check that you are not exceeding your upload rates...especially if it is small.

When it is not your machines overloading the bandwidth you buy you get into some issue the ISP has. In most cases they will only fix packet loss because that is due to errors. Large ping spikes means data is being held in buffers. If they have oversold the network to the houses near you and all your neighbors together are overloading the connection there is not much you can do., Most ISP will not even admit they have a issue like this. Note this only really applies to cable modems. DSL your connection is dedicated and the bandwidth is so small compared to the uplink where ht dsl terminates that it will not overload.

madhur20rocks

Reputable
Nov 16, 2017
Do you have a modem and router separate. Can you plug into the modem directly. It is unlikely but this is to check for a router bug.

If we were to assume it is in the connection between your house and your ISP then something is overloading the connection. Be very sure to check that you are not exceeding your upload rates...especially if it is small.

When it is not your machines overloading the bandwidth you buy you get into some issue the ISP has. In most cases they will only fix packet loss because that is due to errors. Large ping spikes means data is being held in buffers. If they have oversold the network to the houses near you and all your neighbors together are overloading the connection there is not much you can do., Most ISP will not even admit they have a issue like this. Note this only really applies to cable modems. DSL your connection is dedicated and the bandwidth is so small compared to the uplink where ht dsl terminates that it will not overload.
Im pretty sure i hav a router. I read on a similar post here if i want to check if the problem is with my router i should do ping test to my router and that came out perfectly fine

Im sorry but can you please elaborate on "overloading the connection". also im pretty sure im not exceeding my upload speed since my upload speed is around 20mbps

i dont hav DSL connection. so does the 3rd para still apply to me? also should i contact my ISP regarding this issue if its an issue from their side? " Large ping spikes means data is being held in buffers. " how to reduce this issue?
thank you for ur reply and sorry for asking too much

The problem just ping the router is the traffic only talks to the LAN side of the cpu chip. If there is some issue in the logic going lan-wan or the modem you can't really test this. If the modem and router are combines not much you can do. This is to avoid the standard ISP blames your router.

If you were to say backup some device to cloud storage it is really easy to use up 20mbps. Lately people have been having this type of issue because they are now running zoom video conference. It does not use a lot but if you only have 1mbps upload like some DSL connection have it is easy to overload it.

The ISP will claim there is no problems. There is a device that converts the cable to fiber. What the ISP will do is ping the device over the fiber from their end and see no problems. Generally these fiber connections are 10gbit. There is far less bandwidth on the cable side of this device that is shared between all the people in your neighborhood. Say they sell plans that are 350 down 15 up. The system can really only have 3 people say running 350mbps down at the same time. They just gamble it doesn't happen. The problem lately is people are using much more upload. So let say the system has 100mbps total for all the houses. Previously that was more than enough because only things like video games and maybe voice chat use upload and it is a extremely small value. It does not take a lot of uses running video chat software to overload the upload.

Still there is nothing you can really do about this. The ISP is not going to redesign their network for you. Now maybe if you are lucky it is some teen kid running torrents,

You can try to call your ISP but when you look at the fine print they will point to speedtest and say they are meeting the contract. They make no statements about the latency and the consistently of that latency.

Solution