Good looking silent cases?

G

I am looking to get a silent build (non water cooled) and I have an msi gaming x gtx 1080 a quiet cpu cooler and a quiet PSU

I was going to get the 'silent' h440 NZXT case but apparently its very loud with the stock fans. What are some good cases (with a window) that are silent and will fit the MSI GTX 1080 inside?

Solution
Out of the box there are many things that can be done to make a case quieter. Dampening foam, baffles, rubber (to reduce vibration), but mostly it is the fans that come with it and their arrangement.

BeQuiet is just a brand, but they generally do go for silence. Their recent CPU cooler competes well with other mid-range products.

Windowed cases are generally not that quiet because the acrylic window will be noisier then the steel variants, and they will not have added dampening foam.

G

I know but their cases dont have a side window and i personally think they look kinda ugly :/

Jacob_107

Reputable
Aug 14, 2016
What do you really mean by silent cases? The cases doesn't make any noises or anything, only the fans can but you can replace those fans easily or add any extra in the future when upgrading. When choosing a case you should have to decide what motherboard you would like to go for and as you know that then you can find out the motherboard's size such as Mini ITX, MicroATX, ATX etc. And the last thing to look for is the budget. It is basically just your choice if you would prefer a gaming case or a really small cases in the size of a shoes box or whatever you would like.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Out of the box there are many things that can be done to make a case quieter. Dampening foam, baffles, rubber (to reduce vibration), but mostly it is the fans that come with it and their arrangement.

BeQuiet is just a brand, but they generally do go for silence. Their recent CPU cooler competes well with other mid-range products.

Windowed cases are generally not that quiet because the acrylic window will be noisier then the steel variants, and they will not have added dampening foam.

Solution
G

What cheap silent case fans would you recommend that would fir into the h440 case?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A lot of variables there. For cheap silent I actually like Cooler Master : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103052&cm_re=4-pack_cooler_master-_-35-103-052-_-Product

For silence/performance/longevity Corsair AF and SP fans are favorites as well.

BitFenix makes a decent cheap case fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835345001&cm_re=bitfenix-_-35-345-001-_-Product

Xigmatek has some decent fans as well. I ended up doing a shootout between 7 fans (can never have enough spare fans) Cougar, Corsair SP, Arctic, Scythe, Bitfenix Spectre, BitFenix Spectre Pro, Cooler Master. Xigmatek won that one, but it was for an old Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme with a middle mounted fan. I think it's beefy chassis helped it direct the flow better.

Also played with Swiftech 140mm, Corsair AF 140, Bit Fenix Spectre 140mm. I think the Swiftech were the best and the Bit Fenix the quietest.

Fan that comes with the Evo 212 didn't make it in, still have it sitting though, need to fire it up and see what it can do.

Bequiet makes pretty quiet fans from my experience with their dark rock pro 3 cooler. Their fans tend to be really quiet but a little under powered as a trade off, somewhat lower cfm etc. Part of the noise from fans isn't the fan itself, it's the airflow. Blow air hard enough over various surfaces like past hard drive cages and intake grills, it's going to make noise even if the fan is silent.

Cheap fans you tend to get what you pay for. Just replaced the fan on a 212 evo cooler after 18mo, the fan that came with it the cheap bearings went kaput. Replaced it with a better quality scythe s-flex fan that was used in a previous system for close to 5yrs and it's still running smoother than the coolermaster fan. You tend to get what you pay for.

Cougar fans are pretty decent airflow to noise ratio and decent quality. So are phanteks ph140sp's, barely makes any noise at full speed and it's the soft whoosh of air through the exhaust grill of my case. The phanteks aren't exactly cheap but not too bad, around $15 for 140mm size and have a 5yr warranty. Corsair's prices have gotten pretty proud the past couple years and come close to (and in some cases) rival Noctua's prices. They're no noctua in my opinion.

Keep in mind that corsair's fans are a bit different, the plain black on black fan/housing original styled fans with colored rings are decent. The newer versions with led lighting use inexpensive sleeve bearings which is why they're cheaper than the original af/sp.

As eximo pointed out windowed cases aren't usually considered silent since there's potential for window rattle depending how it's attached, it can allow sounds to amplify a bit vs a padded case. Cases with too much padding not only collect dust on the foam, they may increase temps a bit and require more airflow through the case - meaning faster fan speeds killing the whole point of 'silent'. Intake and exhaust fans will still be a noise source since you can't pad those over, the case has to breathe.

The loudest things will likely be the gpu fans under load and potentially the drive if you have a mechanical hard drive. Fans shouldn't need rubber mounts, quality fans don't vibrate. I was a bit worried on my enthoo pro because I didn't have silicon isolator mounts big enough to mount fans to the top of the case, I had to hard mount them with no rubber corners, nothing. Just fan frame to case directly and no issues, no noise. The noctua redux are nice and balanced.

By all accounts the enthoo pro should be 'noisy'. It has a window, it has an open rear, bottom, top and front. I use a fan controller with the stock 200mm fan up front, 140mm in back and two 140mm noctua's up top all running at around 50-60% speed if that. Sitting next to my monitor it's quiet. Firing a game up is another story but that's my gpu. A single fan oc'd hd7850 is far from silent lmao. Goes to show though that it's more about the fans and fan control than a 'silent' case. It sounds like you've already chosen quiet components which is a lot of what makes a pc noisy or not.

AqwBroders

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016

Fractal Desing R5 is a silence case, there is also a version with windows https://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Design-Define-Gaming-FDCADEFR5BKW/dp/B00QMVKVAA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475574480&sr=8-2&keywords=fractal+r5