Question Good Low-Power Mobo+Graphics

mikeebb

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014
I'm starting to look for a replacement for my ancient desktop. Have a good full-ATX Ostrog case to re-use. Would like to get something that is relatively low-power (say, safe with <600VA, preferably 500VA class PSU) that will handle adequate RAM (at least 16GB), a decent but not necessarily high end nVidia card (using a 750ti now), and my peripherals (SATA HD, SSD, DVD writer, and if a card can be found for the interface floppy disk). Agnostic regarding Intel v. AMD. Key stressful applications are Canvas X 2017 GIS (not very multithreaded, needs good single-core performance) and Open Rails (multi-processing, requires at least 4 real cores at decent speed, and somewhat GPU-intensive). OR runs OK in my current system (Core2 Extreme, 750ti, 8GB) but recent releases have started to fall below 60 fps with some routes. It's also moving from 32 to 64 bits (moving from XNA to Mono and expanding memory usage) soon and I expect that to finally make my current system obsolete. Canvas is generally OK but some operations (large object combines and multiple object joins, for instance) just max out a core and stay there for hours. Windows 10 Pro retail fully updated. Any recommendations?

Oh yes, I'm not made of money. $K+ builds won't happen.

Last edited:

Darkbreeze

Titan
What country are you in? What is your ACTUAL preferred maximum budget?

Also, and this is probably more important than anything else, what is the EXACT model of your current power supply, and how long has it been in service?

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS