Question Good luck folks, here is a chance to get a 30 series card at MSRP

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
TBH, am a little bummed. One of the store locations is all of 15 mins from me.
As I have real life and a job to do, I can't go stand out there all afternoon, night, and early morning hoping that I am lucky enough to get a ticket.
It would have been awesome if they gave some idea as to how many they will actually have available. Thus, when you go out and see a line around the building waiting you can opt to go home instead.

AB2647

Prominent
Jul 12, 2021
As I have real life and a job to do, I can't go stand out there all afternoon, night, and early morning hoping that I am lucky enough to get a ticket.
It would have been awesome if they gave some idea as to how many they will actually have available. Thus, when you go out and see a line around the building waiting you can opt to go home instead.

I don't even live in those parts lol but it gives me hope tbh.

Reactions: punkncat

USAFRet

Titan
Similar.
Our BB is 5 mins away. But, at that hour tomorrow morning, I will be at work.

I'm not even in the market for one, but I would get one, just because.
Alas....

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Alas....

Yes, thankfully I don't have an actual need for one at this point, just a want. What I actually need right now is a low level card to put in a machine for basic video output. I have a R7 1700 to be repurposed and the only GPU I have on hand is a 210.
With prices the way they are I intended just to bite the bullet, get a 30xx and step down a GTX 1080 into the other. No point in throwing $150+ dollars at a card that by all market standards shouldn't even be selling right now, much less for what they are.

I purposefully built the last one Intel such that I have integrated graphics to fall back on if the need arises. Crazy market in a crazy world right now.

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
Alas....

I was doing that with Newegg 'shuffles' when they would have just the GPU (no combos) at or near MSRP - I eventually wanted to get one but no urgency. I'd enter the shuffles with the idea that if selected, I would purchase but no concerns when I wasn't getting selected.

I think it was the 2nd day after 3080TI release they had shuffles that were all GPU-only and at MSRP (3080TI MSRP is much higher than the 3080 but that's on the manufacturer not Newegg). I don't know if they're still doing them - I entered for several GPUs and was selected for a Gigabyte 3080TI Gaming OC and haven't looked since.

For me, the shuffle was a great option. I suppose if you were stuck and really NEEDED one ASAP, going and getting in line in the wee hours would be the best chance. Unfortunately, doing that is not an option for many (or maybe most) due to store locations and work obligations.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I suppose if you were stuck and really NEEDED one ASAP, going and getting in line in the wee hours would be the best chance. Unfortunately, doing that is not an option for many (or maybe most) due to store locations and work obligations.

This particular location that is close to be is right by the highway and exceptionally popular. I would imagine that played part in their being one of the two stores in state being stocked.

Some years ago, I think it was the Xbox release, this store had people camping out front for over a week. It was on the news. The local police had to station officers there and people were having to be told to take down tents, on the sidewalk out front, during business hours. There were RV's on the parking lot with people taking turns placeholding in line. It was insane.

As mentioned above...and I don't know exactly when this news was released, but I would about bet a bill that there is already a large group of people camping out in the hopes of getting one.
I rather wonder if they will pull the trick Turtles (records) used to pull in reference to concert tickets. Regardless of how long you waited, they did a lottery style selection based on getting a raffle ticket. Oh man were we super duper mad the first time they pulled that....