[SOLVED] Good Magnetic Screwdrivers

OmahaMax

Commendable
Jun 5, 2019
My old screwdrivers have lost their magnetism. I have essential tremor and am tired of using chewing gum to stick those tiny Phillips screws to my screwdrivers. Any recommendations on decent, reasonably priced screwdriver sets for old guys?

kanewolf

Titan
My old screwdrivers have lost their magnetism. I have essential tremor and am tired of using chewing gum to stick those tiny Phillips screws to my screwdrivers. Any recommendations on decent, reasonably priced screwdriver sets for old guys?
Have you tried any of the magnetizer tools like these -- https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Precision-Demagnetizer-Magnetizer-Screwdrivers/dp/B01BKX64HS
Give your existing tools a boost of magnetism.

Reactions: OmahaMax

OmahaMax

Commendable
Jun 5, 2019
I don't know how to pick between your answers, because they are both very fascinating and inexpensive enough to try both. I think I still need some decent new screwdrivers to which I will apply both of your responses. Any screwdriver set suggestions?

Ralston18

Titan
Seconding @kanewolf

I sometimes need to wear those "grippy" type gloves to hold tools and work. Strength and sense of touch fading.

Over the last few years I have had to replace various tools. Finding that the quality is no where near what tools (as well as other products) used to be. Even for name brand products.

And the manufacturers often tout things like "comfort", "corrosion resistant", etc..

Tolerances are often off - i.e., the Phillips head just does not really fit as it should into the head of the screw. Which is sometimes on the screws' end of the business. Softer metals quickly round out. And are less magnetic also.

[Anti-rant brakes applied....]

If you can safely do so go out (masked, socially distancing, etc.) and look at screwdriver sets that you can actually touch and feel. Test against something metal in the store just to get a sense of how "magnetic" the screwdriver really is....

Next would be to read reviews and order online - just be sure that you can return the screwdrivers if the set proves unsuitable.