Good material for Security+ cert

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseyIT92

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014
Hey guys,

Originally I was going to go with Testking, but I heard it was just brain dumps. I was going to get the value pack that came with study guides, questions, cyber labs, and audio. I thought it would be a good way to study, but I don't want braindumps. I won't learn anything that way. Is there anywhere else to get a good package like this? CBTnuggets is to expensive, it's 100 bucks a month.

Solution
If you plan on doing security+ you need to build a foundation before you take the leap into security. A couple YouTube videos on networking and videos on OS fundamentals really won't cut it.So being able to find malicious changes in the registry without the assistance of AV or guide online, and knowing a few other OS fundamentals. Then networking fundamentals, like I wouldn't employ someone who didn't at least have a CCENT cert. Then you need to learn about basic programming, you don't need to learn how to make fancy webpages etc.... You just want a foundation in programming so you can write your own scripts to automate things a bit. So languages like Java, and Python scripting languages are all that you really need to know. Then after...

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
If you plan on doing security+ you need to build a foundation before you take the leap into security. A couple YouTube videos on networking and videos on OS fundamentals really won't cut it.So being able to find malicious changes in the registry without the assistance of AV or guide online, and knowing a few other OS fundamentals. Then networking fundamentals, like I wouldn't employ someone who didn't at least have a CCENT cert. Then you need to learn about basic programming, you don't need to learn how to make fancy webpages etc.... You just want a foundation in programming so you can write your own scripts to automate things a bit. So languages like Java, and Python scripting languages are all that you really need to know. Then after you grasp that you can make the jump to security+.

These are the resources I would recommend as a consultant/teacher.

http://www.amazon.com/CCENT-Study-Guide-100-101-ICND1/dp/1118749685/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1425282380&sr=8-2&keywords=CCENT for networking

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Security-Certified-Ahead-SY0-401/dp/1939136024/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425281809&sr=8-1&keywords=Security%2B Security+ what all colleges use. Just getting this one won't give you the other foundations needed

codecademy.com take python or java these are all free and they give a simulator to work with.

A+ because most likely your first job will require you to also be responsible for repairing employee machines and is just a solid foundation.

Solution

jerseyIT92

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014

I'm alright on my second job in IT. An a+ cert is absolutely worthless.

The Security+ certification literally goes over nothing that has to do with programming. I understand that later down the road I may need programming. As far as getting my Sec+, it wouldn't help.

This book would be a much better recommendation because getting the CCNA would be more logical. This book covers the first test (CCENT) and the second (CCNA) http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-Routing-Switching-Study-Guide/dp/1118749618/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk/189-0356117-0396705

Anyone with anything solid to tell me?

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
If you think you know all that stuff already you don't need an overpriced package. The package normally just comes with a book on networking, the security+ book. and a worthless cd with software and labs that the book already gives you links for. Just spend $30 and get the security+ book I linked. If that wasn't clear enough call or email the actual people who create the packages.

Status
Not open for further replies.