Good memory dongles

KyleTheCat

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Hello all.
Just gone into yr 10 this year at school - As now starting with my chosen GCSE use computers a lot more often.
I need a decent memory dongle with good capacity, decent read/write speeds and good qualiy casing.
I currently have a whole metal stick on my keys which is begining to see its days as it sometimes fails to appear in file explorer as the tip is begining to wear down. I strongly rely on my memory dongles as my school profile is only 1gb in storage so obviously I need something a bit more.
I currently have 8gb which is a good size for what I need but as we are stupidly running win16dows 10 on 2gb ram systems is stupidly slow so I also use my sticks as windows readyboost. It also needs to be able to handle a lot of abuse as constantly in and out of my pocket and banging against the rest of my keys (which are my house front door keys, my window key, my shed key and my bike lock keys so it and 6 or so other keys constantly rubbing together along with other stuff in my pocket- Ive had mint iPhones end up scratched to death after 3 months, my current memory stick looked good when new but now is all scratched and banged up like I dont know what! I previously had a plastic memory stick but due to the abuse it has to take the bit that holds it on my keys ended up snapping so.

I need a memory dongle -
16-32gb, all metal bodied, good read/write speeds, able to handle lots of abuse.

Tia

https://www.amazon.com/GorillaDrive-64GB-Ruggedized-Flash-Drive/dp/B00GH18HW4?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-METAL-Flash-MUF-64BA-AM/dp/B013CCTJKE?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_3

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Flash-Survivor-Stealth-Drive/dp/B00YHL1LN8?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

No USB device is going to stand up to the sort of usage that sees you destroy the plug, no matter how brawny it's casing, and this includes the computer you happen to be plugging it into repeatedly. Full sized USB is rated for 1,500 insertions, so that should help give you an idea based on your own usage whether you got the rated utility from your device. That's about 4 years, if you plug it in once a day.

Kashimi

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015

That corsair one looks like those bank shuttles that go back and forth in the tube lmao. That's a pretty unique design.

KyleTheCat

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
"No USB device is going to stand up to the sort of usage that sees you destroy the plug, no matter how brawny it's casing,"

The USB end on the ones with seperate soldered USB males I noticed with usage snap off very easily. The one i've got now is a full metal body which to be specific is the this one but 8gb version.
asset.1657611.jpg

Only want to change it because I've owned it now for about 7-8 years so its starting to fail as you'd expect. My main concern with memory dongles is the USB snapping off and the casing breaking where it attaches to my keys. Again this whole metal bodied drive is sound and handles the abuse well. Its just old now that its in need of updating.

My main main aspects are 16-32gb, Sturdy USB male end (Not the easily replaceable - soldered on bit like on these type:
images
Having owned that specific one before both the plastic where it attaches to my keys snapped with being thrown about in my pockets and the USB also snapped off requiring me to re-solder it back on in order to recover my data before putting it in a draw as a spare.) and a metal body so its able to stand being bashed with my keys, phone and what other junk I have in my pockets.

Well, there are lots of memory stick designs to pick from. :) The photo of the "integral 32" looks like it would hold up as well as anything. If you're using a soldered USB port on an otherwise stationary computer often enough, it might be considered to use an extension cable or hub to take the insertion burden off of the computer's USB port. It's far simpler to replace a simple extension cable than to try and repair damage to a more permanent USB port. It may also facilitate easier insertion of your memory stick, which would certainly be a plus.

Verbatim also makes a dog tag style USB device that would remove it from the influence of your keys altogether, but I can't imagine as many people would be interested in wearing something like that.

https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Flash-Drive-Black-98671/dp/B00KCJZRYS

USB memory devices that have to achieve higher reliability tend to be higher priced, lower capacity single level cell devices, due to the higher durability of the flash. It's probably cheaper in the long run to just use the lower cost devices, as you can get multiples of the storage capacity and have redundancy for less than the cost of a high end SLC flash drive.

KyleTheCat

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015

Thats one thing - It needs to be on my keys otherwise I forget it lol
It is a good stick. Just a bit old and at that age where its begining to fail and I may just get something similar but was interested in something more interesting and also strong enough to hold up.