Good Mic's for surroud sound speakers?

Dean Wilkinson

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
I have a 5.1 surrond sound setup, and don't want a headset, but I would like a decent Microphone.

Biggest issue being I obvious don't want it to pick up too much from the speakers.

I have very little experience in audio hardware, so not sure whats a ideal choice and open to suggestion.

Cheaper is better, but quality is still important.

Solution
doesn't matter what mic you use, if your speakers are outputting a loud enough sound, it will pick up the vibrations.

But usually microphones with a low decibel setting can allow it to not pick up sounds as easy.

Using a mic with an amp controller that can allow you to lower the decibel sensitivity can be good as well.

So it really comes down to how loud you are running your speakers.
You can of course set up push to talk with whatever service you use to communicate to people so that the only time audio comes through is when you press the push to talk button you set up on you keyboard to talk.

At which point what I can do is recommend different microphone options for you based on mic quality and price.

I've personally been using...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
doesn't matter what mic you use, if your speakers are outputting a loud enough sound, it will pick up the vibrations.

But usually microphones with a low decibel setting can allow it to not pick up sounds as easy.

Using a mic with an amp controller that can allow you to lower the decibel sensitivity can be good as well.

So it really comes down to how loud you are running your speakers.
You can of course set up push to talk with whatever service you use to communicate to people so that the only time audio comes through is when you press the push to talk button you set up on you keyboard to talk.

At which point what I can do is recommend different microphone options for you based on mic quality and price.

I've personally been using the Samson GO mic for a while and love it.
has audio quality comparable to that of a Blue Yeti but for a fraction of the cost.
Is small and portable making it great for on the go with laptops or for not having a heavy mic on a suspension arm increasing the longevity of the springs.
Has three built in modes that can be changed to with a switch: Cardioid, Stereo (Omnidirectional), and -10db mode.
Also has a headphone jack if you wanted to plug in headphones to hear you voice for when you do mic checks, voice overs, podcasts, etc.
It's on Amazon for $40
https://www.amazon.com/Samson-Portable-Condenser-Microphone-Computers/dp/B00NQVX95I/

Here's a suspension arm to mount to your desk that comes with a nice pop filter for $16
https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Microphone-Suspension-Mounting-Windscreen/dp/B01GRMF5ZE/

Making the total investment $56 before taxes which makes the whole thing cost less than a Blue Yeti by itself.

(BTW, the suspension arm I linked is the exact one I am using right now with my Samson Go Mic and I can attest to it's quality. While not the highest quality for sure, it isn't a big issue since if you pair it with the GO mic, you won't be bothered with the springs losing their tension so soon and having the arm sag, which is what would happen with a bigger and heavier mic causing you to have to either replace the springs or buy a new one when it starts to go out and that takes a very long time if you don't have anything heavy on it)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS