Good Motherboard and CPU Choices for an 1080 Ti

FEAR The Dope

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
Hey, 1st of all, thank you for taking a look!

I spent $750 about 4 years ago on making my 1st computer. Since then I have only upgraded the GPU card (For some reason that may be needed, from 650 to 1080 TI). But with my current specs, I dont see the true potential of the card. Specs are

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
GPU : Zotac 1080 Ti
RAM : Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x4 DDR3 1600 C9
HDD : WD Blue 1TB
Power Unit : Corsair CM600M

I have the NXT Phantom so Im pretty certain it can fit nearly all sized parts. Im looking to upgrade my CPU, Motherboard and add more RAM/get new RAM, but on a budget. Looking to do 300. But the max I would go is 500, but would rather not do that. If theres any other questions you may have, dont hesitate to ask. Thanks!

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

FEAR The Dope

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013

Would going the power unit you suggested actually be not as reliable? What makes it more reliable?

Also, would this Processor work also? (Planning to buy the parts from Microcenter, and they also have Motherboard/CPU combo deals. But if cant find any, I can order online) http://www.microcenter.com/product/477030/Pentium_G4560_Kaby_Lake_350GHz_LGA_1151_Boxed_Processor

a Z270 board, 7700K, cooler, and 16GB of RAM will cost $600...but will rule the roost in gaming, allowing the GTX1080Ti to support the highest fremarates possible for 144 Hz monitors, etc...

A B350, R5-1600 and 16 GB of DDR4 RAM will cost $350, and is a very popular 'all-around' choice..., still 'fast', just not as blisteringly/blazingly fast as the 7700K.

FEAR The Dope

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013

I can live without a 7700K I am really just looking for something to run games better. GTA is probably my most had problem, as I can run the game. No real problems, but sometimes can have FPS issues (As expected with such a low grade processor). And also, is 16GB needed? I know its recommended currently, especially for the current AAA titles. And are you talking about the Ryzen CPU? I currently have an AMD CPU, but have been told Intel is the way to go. But I have seen the Ryzen in person, and it seems like it holds up very well. And for monitor, I am using a TV (Planning to get a 4k soon). And lastly, I do not expect to get the FULL power of the 1080 ti. Its top of its class currently, which means it would want to be partnered up with other components that are top class.

If you do not mind, could you take a look at Microcenters page? I am planning to get it from there, but I could always order online (Reason I ask is because the CPU/Motherboard bundles)