Good news for Nvidia buyers.

petrolhead2003

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2003
NVIDIA'S UPCOMING graphics chip, NV40, supports the Shader models 3.0 that Nvidia claims are in DirectX 9.1 and which, in the real world, are in DirectX 9.0c. Still, Nvidia's fearless marketeers are also claiming that the chip have three times the performance and eight times faster shaders than NV38—Geforce FX 5950 Ultra.

It's even more interesting that Nvidia claims that its card will end up four times faster in Doom 3 and seven times faster in Half Life 2.

NV40 is still AGP.

Launch date so far remains Cebit's Thursday 18th of March.

So if your considering that 9800xt or a 5950u,forget it.

It looks like Nvidia are going to put right any shortcomings of the FX range.

cleeve

Illustrious
Sounds great... unless the R420 is *nine* times faster in HL2.

Marketers are BS chucking ba$tards. Remember how the 5800 was supposed to be twice as fast at the 9700 PRO?

What I'm saying is, none of the claims are worth the time it takes to type them. The Nv40 may well be the cat's ass, but I think we'll believe it when we see it.

If it's an awesome part, it won't be that way because the Nvidia marketing team said so. It'll be because of superior hardware.

petrolhead2003

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2003
Well,whatever happens,bullshit or not,Nvidia appear to have realised that the FX was just not good enough.

We all need a healthy/competitive graphics card market.
The faster they get new stuff out and with performance increasing,the sooner that prices of older(still fast enough)cards will fall.

This is much better news for the UK market because cards are so expensive.
9800xt is about £375+
5950 approx £320+

cleeve

Illustrious
Nvidia realized that the FX line wasn't fast enough before they were ever released. That was never a secret.

They simply didn't have a choice... the only other option would be to release absolutely nothing, and that would have panned out even worse.
Instead they chose to release & lie about performance. Which is why marketing hype is to be taken with a grain of salt... no mattter how the next gen of cards will perform, the marketing dept. will tout is as the best thing since sliced bread.

But yes, the sooner new cards are available, the sooner the old ones will drop in price. And that is always a good thing.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Oh if I had a dime for every time Nvidia made these claims I would not be here positing.

Barton 2500+ @ 2200mhz (10x220 vcore @ 1.8)
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro(420/720)

petrolhead2003

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2003
I think that the only thing that would chear you lot up would be if Nvidia went bust.

Nvidia lost their way a bit,but look set to right ALL the wrongs of the FX,hopefully.

Competition is the only thing that drives the market,if Nvidia drive the market forward with their new cards,it'll only make ATI work harder to try and do better.

And that's better for everyone,even the Ati worshippers.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I don't beleive a single marketing word until I see real product benchmark.

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

pauldh

Illustrious
I think most people are sceptical about claims made and want to wait and see some benchmarks and real results.

I can't imagine any ATI Fan wanting NVidia to disappear, as yes the competion is needed.

And last, most of the people talking ATI up, are doing so because ATI has put out the best cards since the 9700 Pro. There are more people I think who stick to NVidia even when they are second best. I bet many of the Radeon 9XXX owners have owned GF4Ti4200's. Why, because they were the best performance for the money for a long time. Same goes for the future. I hope ATI's next cards do edge out NVidias. But when it comes time to upgrade my 9800 Pro, I'll be buying the best card for the money at the time, whether if that is NVidia, ATI, or someone else. So basically don't think that because many of us support ATI, we wouldn't switch (or switch back) to NVidia if NVidia manages to drop a true undesputed Champion of a card like the Radeon 9700 Pro. But if ATI and Nvidia's next cards are neck and neck, and priced the same, I'd be sticking to ATI until they let me down.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
$50 bucks say they're BSing, we all know it will run 50x better than HL2 ;)

but u know 0FPS * 50 is still zero :D

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
never tried to go crazy when it comes to o/cing.
THGC's resident Asian and Graphics Forum's resident nVboy :D

KCjoker

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2002
"It's even more interesting that Nvidia claims that its card will end up four times faster in Doom 3 and seven times faster in Half Life 2."

Faster than what????? Also I agree with what Pauldh said, I buy whatever is the best for my money.

I think that the only thing that would chear you lot up would be if Nvidia went bust.
Ignorant statement from someone who wishes it were the case for ATI obviously.

No one wants them to go bust, that wouldn't help anyone, we wanted them to pay the penance for their misdeads (as a lesson to ALL), they have, and this is a whole new round, so whoever is #1 is #1, period.

PR, no one believes the PR, geez if we've learned anything it's that the PR guys have NO IDEA what the Engineers, both Hardware and Software, are doing.

Nvidia lost their way a bit,
Actually more like they made a mistep and then made it worse by not addressing that issue but instead doing everything else, INCLUDING PR BLITZES, to try and cover up. That's a big issue. If their initial response hadn't been to fudge, but if instead they cam out with the run-time compiler sooner, then this wouldn't have been half as bad.

but look set to right ALL the wrongs of the FX,hopefully.
We'll see. Right now that's just hopes and PR. They will likely come out with a better card than the FX, but it'll take more than that. The question is how do they do against the competition. Our hopes that there would be more have been dashed by XGI's shortcomings, but still neither company (ATI nor nV) can afford to have a crummy piece of hardware like the NV30 or worse the Volari Duo. If one is significantly farther behind, expect a quick return with an acceleration of the replacement part. Should the R420 be significantly slower than the NV40 or vice versa, the 'loser' will quickly rush out a refresh. But it will mean they're lost the first round of the #4 series war.

Likely we will see one card do better at some things, and the other do better at others, the question is whether overall they are equal enough to be arguably equal.

BTW, if those are your prices then you have terrible sources.

<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/hercules_ati_graphics_cards.html#agx_2d029_2dhe" target="_new">Here's a HERCULES R9800XT for <b>UNDER</b> £320</A>

<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/sapphire_ati_graphics_cards.html" target="_new">Sapphire for £323</A>

<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/connect3d_ati_graphics_cards.html" target="_new">Connect 3D also for 323</A>

Only the specialty cards like the ASUS are even close to as expensive as you paint the R9800XT, even the FX series you have overprices (I notice you didn't list it as ULTRA either so even worse).

As for TRUE FX5950Ultras the cheapest is Leadtek @ £280.83.

Personally I think that the next round will be GREAT.

This round was truely the battle for the middle class GF4ti vs R9500Pro vs R9600Pro vs FX5600Urev2 (for a brief moment) vs FX5700U. The high end cards saw very little change in the leader.

I think that all the major players have had enough time to perfect their designs. Anyone coming out with a substandard part really was sleeping during the previous year.

Ann an X-fold increase in shader performance alone is not enough. Currently without the run-time compiler replacing workload, the Top-end FX line has 1/2 to 1/4 to pixel shader performance of the equivalent radeon. So eight times better would mean a doubling of the current Radeon line, which is pretty close to what we could expect with just the lcock rate increases, let alone the large increase in # of pipelines.

It's pretty much what most of us expected.

an 8x2 core is double the pixel engines, and the R42X is either 12x or 16x1 so either a 50% increase or a doubling in architecture alone (let alone any core increases).

The only thing that WOULD surprise me is if the NV4X series came out with pretty much the same pixel shader weakness. Nothing would hurt them more than having their new card performing worse than ATI's older R3XX series.
The same could be said for the Radeons, should they suck at something so bad that NV's old architecture, or even thei own OLD architecture outperform somewhere then that will not look good.

Whatever they have to offer, expect both companies to offer at least a significant increase over their older card. If it's not double the perforomance theoretically, expect at least 25-50% for real-world gaming.

Also expect new features, like NV's new AA/AF implementations.

Should be nice for anyone wanting to play at above their current level.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

BTW, that first part of your post would be called plagiarism.

You aren't quoting your source (basically pretending it's your original statements).

That first paragraph is a word for word copy (thought it looked familiar).

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14058" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14058</A>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Good point #2

----
RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR
Support the terrorists, vote democrat
NV/AMD/IBM axis of evil team leader
Who cares about HL2/D3 when we have Call of Duty today!!

savethesquirrels

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2004
When it comes we can all rejoice in the fact that all the high end cards will be cheaper. You guys are worse than Mac-addicts. Do any of you even work for nvidia cuz a lot of u seem to speak for them, like you know what goes on behind closed doors? I'm curious, its a serious question not a point. Well it is a point too.

-Faster, Better, Stronger ...mmm Cake
-Windows makes baby Jesus cry

cleeve

Illustrious
Huh?

Who are you referring to? Not sure what you mean by that, squirrels.

Is that referring to me in anyway? If so, the answer is: nope, I don't speak for anyone but myself.

As for what goes on behind closed doors, well even that doesn't remain secret forever.

BTW, I'd say we're the opposite of MAC-Addicts. I know alot of them, and do occasionally enjoy using one myself at the university, however MAC-addicts tend to ignore actual performance beifits and reality simply to enjoy an interface that a child can use. The difference is most people leave their helpess infant stage and move on to power. I'd say most people here go with performance,, and are realistic about the situation. We all enjoy gazing into the future with lust/longing, but we usually stay grounded in what isx real and what is ficticious PR. nVidiots, FanATIcs and eXaGIrators are a different story though. Of course the Matrox aficionados are just very sage people. :wink:

cleeve

Illustrious
Come to think of it, there should also be a fanboy name for people who like matrox.

Like "Matroxtremist" maybe? :wink:

LOL!

Yeah, we tried this before, and no one came up with anything good, but I'm always up for a good moniker.

Matroxtremist is ok, but if anyone comes up with something better I'd adopt it. How about MAX-POWER; the name you love to touch, but you musn't touch! :wink:

cleeve

Illustrious
MATR0xx0r?

Ew.

Time to give up, methinks.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Its Fun reading about all this new cool stuff coming out and getting excited and putting down ati fans ...lol (Nvidia FAN here anyway)

I try not to look at these articles too crazy, we'll just see when March 18th comes and we will see hopefully some Benchmarks by Tom's and we will see the Rapid Speed advances nVidia offers... I hope its true but whatever, hopefully my new system i will build in December this SUPER fast card will go down in price.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
when does marketing cross the line, and become false advertising? something should be done about it.. not liek anyone will tho

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

sirak

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
The next gen better be good; I am trying to resist that Sapphire 9800pro =\

----------------------
PIV 2.4c @ 2.89ghz
1gig PC3200 (512mbx2)
ASUS P4P800
GF3 Ti200 64mb (soon to be replaced)
WinXP Pro
3DMark2001SE: 6309
3DMark2003: 729