Good Old Games Re-Launches, Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Well, at least they aren't really gone, and I suspect the attention the stunt drew will outweigh the short-term angst experienced by those who already used the service. I like the idea a lot, and hope it will be successful going forward...

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I had a moment of panic when the rumor mill was saying a buyout from Valve was the reason for the temporary shutdown. GOG is a great service, and a Valve takeover would have meant GOG's catalog would be reduced to DRM material for the most part. As much as I love Steam, it's just another form of DRM.

GOG is how the digital download business should work.

cinergy

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Baldur's Gate is too old to be interesting. Baldur's Gate Trilogy and related mods would be a lot more compelling.[/citation]

Place is called Good Old Games you doofus. Go Steam and buy new games if eye candy is all you want.

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
Those videos on the site were HORRIBLE! They should have played it straight. I've never used the service and am intrigued, but the videos left me with the distinct impression that these guys are 2nd rate at best.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]cinergy[/nom]Place is called Good Old Games you doofus. Go Steam and buy new games if eye candy is all you want.[/citation]

Yes, and Baldur's Gate 2 is an old game as well. What the Baldur's Gate Trilogy does is put the first game and its expansion into the graphics/engine of the second game. Then you add mods on top of it - some of which are 40+ hours long all by themselves.

I'm a pretty big old school gamer and whatnot myself and I wouldn't play the original plain vanilla. Part of this is because it doesn't even run in XP, but this being from GoG they'll have that sorted.

It's not that the original is too old to be interesting. There's just not much point when doing Baldur's Gate Trilogy (the third being the Throne of Bhaal expansion) is so much of a better experience, even without the other mods.

theoutbound

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I'm sure plenty of people were annoyed by this, but when you have a service as great as Good Old Games is, no one will care for long. Nice stunt GoG.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]cinergy[/nom]Place is called Good Old Games you doofus. Go Steam and buy new games if eye candy is all you want.[/citation]If you don't know what Baldur's Gate Trilogy is then you really don't know anything about Baldur's Gate. Any fan of the series knows what BGT is for. My last build of it was about 9GB with mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.