Good PC arcade racing game?

apckoornstra

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
Hey everybody,

I've been playing mobile games for years, mostly because I didn't have a computer. Now I have a laptop (the HP Zbook Studio G4 (I know, that is not really a gaming PC, but it is quite powerful)).

On my phone, I mostly played Asphalt 8. It is a racing game that is in some way realistic (real cars, real locations, handling is a bit like in real life), but mostly it is an arcade racer. You can use nitro to go really fast, you can drift around every corner and barely lose any speed, you can knock down others to pass them, and most importantly you can fly hundreds of meters if you drive over a ramp.

I think this game, with its realistic look (compared to other mobile games), its great driving experience and its fun gameplay is one of the best mobile games available nowadays.
However, the developer sort of destroyed it, by adding tons of features that all require you to buy more and more in-app purchases. I don't buy IAPs, so now the game just isn't fun anymore.

Can anybody advise a similar game for PC? You can look up some gameplay videos, if you don't know what Asphalt 8 is like.
So I basically want a racing game, that is both realistic and fun (so no hard-core sims (they don't have the fun part), and nothing like Mario Kart (games like that barely have any realism)). If possible, it should have a nice collection of real-life supercars, interesting gameplay mechanics, and no or very few in-game purchases. DLC is ok for me, as long as it is not too expensive.
Finally, I would like to point out that I want an actual racing game, so no driving games with competitive elements, but actual racing (that can be street racing (preferably no drag racing (sorry for all the double parentheses (actually I really like parentheses))), track racing or offroad racing).

Any advice will be helpful.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to your replies.

I assume that has a Quadroo 1200, which is not only intended for workstation use, but isn't even as powerful as a 750 for gaming.

Anyways, the one game that comes to mind is one called Split/Second by Disney. It has a lot of drifting and turbo boost, but also a lot of man made disasters that you can use against competitors once you build up enough drift points. There's also solo timed events with lots of disasters you need to avoid.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwuXUoZCszo"][/video]

There's another older game called Blur, and you may want to check out some of the older Need For Speed games too.

apckoornstra

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely check out these games. I heard a lot of good things about Need for Speed, but I didn't know about Split/Second and Blur.

By the way, I haven't had any problems with games so far. My Quadro and i7 seem to handle things quite well. For example, I can play Rocket League on the highest settings at 80 frames per second, without any drops lower than 70 fps, and sometimes it even goes up to about 95 fps.

Anyway, thank you.

By today's standards that's not much of an endorsement, and only validates my point. Rocket League is a game that's only 5GB in file size with a mere GTX 260 as minimum GPU requirement. So it can basically be played on hardware that came out 8 yrs ago.

As long as you're happy playing older games, you'll be alright.

Frankly I kinda miss the days when games were well under 10GB and installed in less than 15 min.