Good PC. Bad FPS. Help!

G

Ok firstly lets get a few things straight.
1) I've been playing quake for 4 years so I'm no newbie.
2) I work tech support (*yawn*) so I know PC's pretty well.
Ok on to the specs.

P3 700@805
AOpen MX64 Motherboard (VIA Chipset. URL = http://www.aopen.com.tw/products/mb/mx64.htm)
WinFast LeadTek GeForce2 GTS Video Card (running Detonator 7.56 drivers currently)
256 MB of PC133 RAM
Soundblaster Live! Sound Card
13 gig Western Digital HD
Currently Running Win2k, Service Pack 1, DirectX 8.0a.

I run q3 in 640x480 with EVERYTHING turned OFF and EVERYTHING tweaked to perfection. I have tried every l33t config on the net that can be found, also tried other ppl's configs that get mad frames.

My Current FPS in q3 is : 80.6!

I have tried the following OS's : Win 95, 98, 98 SE and ME all give me around the same frames.

I have tried ALL the detonator drivers for the above operating systems and also the Winfast Leadtek drivers also not solving a thing.

Vsync is turned off via the Detonator Control Panel and also in q3. I have my refresh rate set to 120hz in windows and r_displayrefresh to 120 as well.

Thats about all I can think of off the top of my head. If anyone has some ideas then please reply!

Thanks,

DM

G

I don't really understand where exactly does it show you 80 FPS? What map? My GeForce2 MX sometimes reaches 265 but sometimes goes to 24 :( . Be more specific

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Whoa, you're way ahead of me in experience, but I guess you're looking for another viewpoint, eh? Well the only thing I could add to your QUEST is "how about the monitor".
You don't mention it in your extensive and quite admirable rundown of your gear. Is it perhaps a little dated, or maybe just left out. Just my $.02 for your persuance. Good Luck, Take-Out, and don't forget, let us know if you find the problem.

The early bird gets the worm. The early worm gets the bird.

you have the via apollo pro 133a chipset which is one of the slowest chipsets for memory bandwidth,the fix to this is WPCREDIT & WPCRSET both programs by H.Oda
www.h-oda.com
these programs change the values for the chipset registers and allow memory performance close to the bx chipset