Good PC Build?

vadersoul

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I have a build I am looking into. My current gaming PC is still alright so I am both looking to see if the build I have in mind is needed and if it is good.

I mainly play games like DDO, Dota 2, various RPG titles (Fallout 4 etc) and generaly want to make sure I can play games at max settings whenever possible.

My current build
CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W)
RAM - 8GB, 2 x 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz
GPU - HIS HD 7870 IceQ 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (H787Q2G2M)
HDD - Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache
(rest is generic)

My new build
CPU - Intel Core i5-6600K 3.9GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor
RAM - 16GB, 2 x 8GB DDR4
GPU - Radeon R7 370 Gaming 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
HDD - 4TB, anything doesnt much matter
SDD - 480GB, again not sure on the brand/build yet just entry level really

Q - Do i really need to upgrade to a new machine? Is there any scope to upgrade individual components instead of refresh the whole kit?
A - If I do upgrade/refresh, are the components I am looking at him worthwhile?

Solution
I think your better off upgrading a few parts in your current build over a full upgrade. I would add in a 256gb SSD for the OS and maybe a couple of games with longer loading screens, replace the GPU with a RX 480 8gb (or better if budget allows), upgrade to 16gb RAM and possibly replace the PSU if needed depending on your current model.

Can you list your total system parts and budget?

WildCard999

Titan
I think your better off upgrading a few parts in your current build over a full upgrade. I would add in a 256gb SSD for the OS and maybe a couple of games with longer loading screens, replace the GPU with a RX 480 8gb (or better if budget allows), upgrade to 16gb RAM and possibly replace the PSU if needed depending on your current model.

Can you list your total system parts and budget?

Solution

lodders

Admirable
You don't need a new computer, my daughter has a 3570k like yours, and it is fine. A new i5 is only a few % faster - not enough to notice

However, your existing PC would work a lot better with an SSD - Get a Samsung Evo 850 250GB, and put Windows and games on it

Your GPU is old, but still pretty powerful. If you play really demanding new games, get a GTX970 or RX480

vadersoul

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Thanks @lodders @WildCard999

So upgrading the SSD, GPU and RAM is likely all I need to look at.

SSD = I agree, 250GB is probably enough for Windows and a few games, i have PLENTY of games on my PC right now but rarely play more than a few and keeping those on the SSD from a tiering perspective sounds ideal

RAM = upgrading to 16GB sounds like a good plan, just need to figure out that my MOBO can take 8GB dimms and then go from there, but I can get that advice online no doubt

GPU = Did a review against an R7 370 (which seems to be quite a good unit) and my existing 7870
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R7-370-vs-Radeon-HD-7870

5x better 3DMark score
Slightly higher clock speed
Better FR comparing on BF3

I might want to look at some specific game benchmarks for games I play to see how they compare

Sound good?

vadersoul

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

Don't really have one as I can make money available if there is a reason for it
Unless there is a specific reason to do so, for SSD/RAM I am going to go with something fairly entry level for that as long as it satisfies the capacity/memory requirement

GPU is something I feel I have to spend more time on but for that, I dont really want to spend more than £150 as I find anything over this price point usually goes into the luxury/ninja category and there are significantly diminished returns for the cost.

Not that bothered around AMD/NVIDIA either

TRENDING THREADS