Question Good pc but low fps

Apr 6, 2023
Hello! I have a problem with my pc I cannot identify. I have low fps in games like rainbow six siege, valorant, csgo, overwatch 2. There's so much tearing and stuttering when moving around and using abilities. I did a clean install of windows 10 and installed the chipset and newest gpu driver but nothing fixed. How do I fix this?

How many fps should I get in valorant? Am I expecting too much ?

GPU: rx 580 4gb from gigabyte
CPU: i5-7400
RAM: 32gb from corsair
SSD: m.2 samsung 980 1tb
PSU: njoy 550w
MOBO: Asus prime b250m-a

PSU: njoy 550w

This might be the culprit for sure. That's not a good or a high quality PSU to be used in any gaming rig. Try to upgrade and get a higher quality PSU model from reputed brands, like BE QUIET, Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, Enermax, Cooler Master just to name a few.

Don't skimp on the PSU since this is the most important component in any gaming PC. Yours is a local PSU brand, I presume from Romania.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023
This might be the culprit for sure. That's not a good or a high quality PSU to be used in any gaming rig. Try to upgrade and get a higher quality PSU model from reputed brands, like BE QUIET, Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, Enermax, Cooler Master just to name a few.

Don't skimp on the PSU since this is the most important component in any gaming PC. Your is a local PSU brand, I presume from Romania.
Thank you! But how could the psu affect my games and cause stutter?

Thank you! But how could the psu affect my games and cause stutter?

Yes, stuttering may sometimes result from an inadequate or a low quality power supply. Though, I didn't say your PSU is indeed the culprit here, but could be one of reasons for the poor performance on your PC. That NJOY PSU brand is a red flag to begin with.

Most hardware components of a computer are connected to the power supply, which serves as the primary power source for all parts. The stuttering issues will randomly appear if it’s not capable enough to supply the necessary power for your components.

Your system will stutter if your power supply gets too old or is underpowered and insufficient to give the necessary power to the system’s components.

Another possibility is that your GPU may not receive enough power from your PSU, which could result in various issues, including stuttering. The biggest culprit in this situation may be the faulty power supply cables.

Although power supply doesn’t directly affect FPS, it does so only when it doesn’t provide enough wattage to power your computer. When a power supply doesn’t provide the components of your computer with enough power, especially your graphics card, it will impact your frame rate.

An insufficient PSU will cause your GPU to be underpowered, and your FPS may drop drastically. Also, if your GPU is at full load and completely stressed, then you’ll soon encounter a total system crash as well, assuming it is a very poor quality PSU model.

Apr 6, 2023
Yes, stuttering may sometimes result from an inadequate or a low quality power supply. Though, I didn't say your PSU is indeed the culprit here, but could be one of reasons for the poor performance on your PC. That NJOY PSU brand is a red flag to begin with.

Most hardware components of a computer are connected to the power supply, which serves as the primary power source for all parts. The stuttering issues will randomly appear if it’s not capable enough to supply the necessary power for your components.

Your system will stutter if your power supply gets too old or is underpowered and insufficient to give the necessary power to the system’s components.

Another possibility is that your GPU may not receive enough power from your PSU, which could result in various issues, including stuttering. The biggest culprit in this situation may be the faulty power supply cables.

Although power supply doesn’t directly affect FPS, it does so only when it doesn’t provide enough wattage to power your computer. When a power supply doesn’t provide the components of your computer with enough power, especially your graphics card, it will impact your frame rate.

An insufficient PSU will cause your GPU to be underpowered, and your FPS may drop drastically. Also, if your GPU is at full load and completely stressed, then you’ll soon encounter a total system crash as well, assuming it is a very poor quality PSU model.
I understand, thank you! I never had a system crash because of the psu. A little backstory, the psu I have is second hand and after playing some games I always hear a rattling noise and is very annoying. I will try to buy a better psu.

Apr 6, 2023

Another question, is my PC capable of stable 144+ fps on valorant because that is the game I mostly play or the culprit could be the cpu. I can't risk buying a good psu and then finding out that the cpu was the problem, my budget isn't very big.

Another question, is my PC capable of stable 144+ fps on valorant because that is the game I mostly play or the culprit could be the cpu.

On which screen resolution and refresh rate/Hz do you game ? 1080p ? Your current PC specs are sufficient to play this game.

I don't play this FPS game, so I can't say for sure, but Valorant is considered a CPU intensive game which means the game uses more CPU resources than GPU resources. However, the game, in general, is very easy to run and well optimized so almost any CPU will be able to run the game.

You have a 4 core CPU. However, it should be enough for Valorant at least. But in some cases, the CPU will almost always be the bottleneck holding your PC back from achieving consistently high frame rates in Valorant, not all.

If we look at the recommended system requirements from Riot Games, the developer of Valorant, we can see that Valorant uses anywhere from 2 to 6 cores depending on the CPU you have. The amount of cores Valorant needs to run at 144+ FPS according to Riot is 6, and the amount of cores needed to run the game at 30 FPS is 2.

The amount of cores is not the only thing you should be looking at when searching for a CPU though. The quality and speed of the processor in general are going to be more important than the number of cores it has.

zDMz0HB.png

Apr 6, 2023
On which screen resolution and refresh rate/Hz do you game ? 1080p ? Your current PC specs are sufficient to play this game.

I don't play this FPS game, so I can't say for sure, but Valorant is considered a CPU intensive game which means the game uses more CPU resources than GPU resources. However, the game, in general, is very easy to run and well optimized so almost any CPU will be able to run the game.

You have a 4 core CPU. However, it should be enough for Valorant at least. But in some cases, the CPU will almost always be the bottleneck holding your PC back from achieving consistently high frame rates in Valorant, not all.

If we look at the recommended system requirements from Riot Games, the developer of Valorant, we can see that Valorant uses anywhere from 2 to 6 cores depending on the CPU you have. The amount of cores Valorant needs to run at 144+ FPS according to Riot is 6, and the amount of cores needed to run the game at 30 FPS is 2.

The amount of cores is not the only thing you should be looking at when searching for a CPU though. The quality and speed of the processor in general are going to be more important than the number of cores it has.

zDMz0HB.png
I play on 1920x1080 144hz and it is soo bad. I am almost regretting I bought a high refresh rate display.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The PSU needs to be taken out of there immediately, for safety reasons, apart from any FPS issues. This is a horrifyingly cheap PSU, and nJoy is infamous for taking cheap junk and slapping their ownb fraudulent 80 Plus certifications on their PSUs. They sell a lot of dodgy garbage, mostly in Romania, and the most valuable part of their PSUs is the cardboard box it's packaged in. Hopefully this hasn't damaged anything.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
+ 1 for the above comment ! Couldn't have said it better myself. I presume this company goes by the name of "Dai-Tech". DAI-TECH seems to be the legal owner of the nJoy brand.

Some of their units, in fact all, are very generic and poor in quality. Some are even considered quite dangerous fire hazards as well, if I can recall correctly.

Njoy makes really "shoddy" power supplies, and I've seen a lot of PC systems getting fried after using this on a heavy gaming rig. I wouldn't touch this PSU brand even with a 10 foot pole. It's pure junk.

njoy = No Joy !

:sweatsmile: /s

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023
+ 1 for the above comment ! Couldn't have said it better myself. I presume this company goes by the name of "Dai-Tech". DAI-TECH seems to be the legal owner of the nJoy brand.

Some of their units, in fact all, are very generic and poor in quality. Some are even considered quite dangerous fire hazards as well, if I can recall correctly.

Njoy makes really "shoddy" power supplies, and I've seen a lot of PC systems getting fried after using this on a heavy gaming rig. I wouldn't touch this PSU brand even with a 10 foot pole. It's pure junk.

njoy = No Joy !

:sweatsmile: /s
Man I hate this. After buying gpu and new ram I still have to buy psu and new cpu. I think I'm gonna sell the pc and do something better with the money.