[SOLVED] Good PC components with VERY low performances

Sep 29, 2021
Hi everyone,
Hope you can help me! :) I build a few months ago a pc for 4k editing and a little bit of gaming,

Here are the components :
Motherboard: ASRock ATX Motherboard (B450 PRO4)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.4 Ghz
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 8G
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB PCIe NVMe M.2
RAM: 32 Go 2133 Mhz
Power supply: EVGA 600 W1, 80+ WHITE 600W

For editing it seems to work well, but I recently tried to play a game which is Star Citizen and I get terrible performances. I have to put every setting at low in the game with a resolution of 720p to get a very poor 20 fps. Now I'm aware that my graphic card is far from being the most efficient one, but I've seen people playing games like Call of duty, God of war and many more with this gpu with WAY better performances. And when I check my configuration on "game-debate" for Star Citizen, I'm told that I can play this game at a resolution of 1440p, in ultra high settings with a 44fps rate...which I'm so far away from...
Of course I did basic things like, updating the GPU driver, switching Windows 10 to Gaming performance, closing all programs, it didn't change a thing.
Can you help me with that? I'm running out of ideas :/

Solution
You definitely need faster ram. Ryzen benefits alot from faster ram. 3200Mhz used to be the starting point, now it seems to be 3600mhz.

Yea if using a B550 or x570 with Ryzen 3000, or 5000, DDR4 3600 CL16 is optimal. B450 can sometimes struggle with such speeds, though, so generally 3200 is recommended for them.

I do agree that the ram speed is way too slow, but there are some ways to improve performance, if you lack the funds for faster ram. I believe this video explains things you can try, iirc.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHJ16hD4ysk

The one other thing, that I would highly recommend, is a better quality PSU. The Evga 600 white is not a quality unit.

Also Star Citizen is...
Hi everyone,
Hope you can help me! :) I build a few months ago a pc for 4k editing and a little bit of gaming,

Here are the components :
Motherboard: ASRock ATX Motherboard (B450 PRO4)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.4 Ghz
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 8G
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB PCIe NVMe M.2
RAM: 32 Go 2133 Mhz
Power supply: EVGA 600 W1, 80+ WHITE 600W

For editing it seems to work well, but I recently tried to play a game which is Star Citizen and I get terrible performances. I have to put every setting at low in the game with a resolution of 720p to get a very poor 20 fps. Now I'm aware that my graphic card is far from being the most efficient one, but I've seen people playing games like Call of duty, God of war and many more with this gpu with WAY better performances. And when I check my configuration on "game-debate" for Star Citizen, I'm told that I can play this game at a resolution of 1440p, in ultra high settings with a 44fps rate...which I'm so far away from...
Of course I did basic things like, updating the GPU driver, switching Windows 10 to Gaming performance, closing all programs, it didn't change a thing.
Can you help me with that? I'm running out of ideas :/
Did you turn on boost and PBO for CPU ?
Do you have better cooler thatn factory AMD one ? Need to keep temps bellow 70c at load for best performance.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Sep 29, 2021
Did you turn on boost and PBO for CPU ?
Do you have better cooler thatn factory AMD one ? Need to keep temps bellow 70c at load for best performance.

Thank you for your answer I appreciate that!
I didn't do that but I thing I shouldn't do such modifications just to get normal performances... I mean I'm not an expert at all, but with these components is it normal to get such low performances? I feel like I must have missed something more obvious somewhere.

logainofhades

Titan
You definitely need faster ram. Ryzen benefits alot from faster ram. 3200Mhz used to be the starting point, now it seems to be 3600mhz.

Yea if using a B550 or x570 with Ryzen 3000, or 5000, DDR4 3600 CL16 is optimal. B450 can sometimes struggle with such speeds, though, so generally 3200 is recommended for them.

I do agree that the ram speed is way too slow, but there are some ways to improve performance, if you lack the funds for faster ram. I believe this video explains things you can try, iirc.

The one other thing, that I would highly recommend, is a better quality PSU. The Evga 600 white is not a quality unit.

Also Star Citizen is a terribly optimized game.

Solution
Thank you for your answer I appreciate that!
I didn't do that but I thing I shouldn't do such modifications just to get normal performances... I mean I'm not an expert at all, but with these components is it normal to get such low performances? I feel like I must have missed something more obvious somewhere.
"Normal performance" includes boost/turbo , times of single frequency CPU has gone. Modern processors have several states all the way from sleep/shut down cores to highest possible frequency on least one core. If those are disabled you are not using their full potential.

Sep 29, 2021
"Normal performance" includes boost/turbo , times of single frequency CPU has gone. Modern processors have several states all the way from sleep/shut down cores to highest possible frequency on least one core. If those are disabled you are not using their full potential.

Ok I understand. But my point is that I get such terrible performances, that I don't think turn on BPO and boost is the actual problem. You're right I may improve things a little bit, but the situation here is that I'm not even able to play this game smoothly at a 720p and in a global low setting ... I get like 15 to 20fps (unplayable...). I also enabled XMP for my rams to run at their real constructor capacity which is 3000 Mhz. But the performance change is barely noticeable. That's so weird, I'm so confused. Everything now is telling me that the performances should be 3 times better, but they aren't.

Sep 29, 2021

Also Star Citizen is a terribly optimized game.
Thank you so much for all these advises :) So I realised thanks to you that my rams were actually locked to 2133 Mhz while they are actually 3000 MHZ RAMs, lol So I enable XMP for them to run at their constructor capabilities. While it has improved slightly the fps, it remains pretty much the same though. :/ I get an unplayable 20 fps at 720p and low setting everywhere. And at 1080 low setting it drops to 10 fps.
I'm totally lost, with these component I should get 3 times more performance. I even overclocked my CPU and my GPU he didn't change a thing.

I hope i can help, I'm an avid Star Citizen player, and I know the game and the game's demands quite well.

First, when you fire up star citizen, I need to know what location you spawn in, and which areas you are having bad frame rates drops in. This is critical, Star CItizen's performance fluctuates significantly based on location.

Also, I need to know what your CPU, RAM, and GPU usage is like in the very bad areas you're experiencing. A quick screenshot of the task manager will work.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Sep 29, 2021
That's great! Hope you'll be able to help me, because now I'm lost.
Well I start in Orizon, but I didn't even try to go much further as it is completely unplayable. I said earlier that I felt like I was getting 20 Fps but I just checked the stats and I actually get like 10 fps in average, in ultra low setting max down... and at 1080p.

Here is a screenshot of my task manager while the game is running. View: https://imgur.com/a/ezd3bIa

The bad area seem to be the gpu, but I'm pretty sure with the rx 580 8gb it shouldn't be that bad, don't you think?

Sep 29, 2021
Also note that the RX580 is a somewhat ok card, not anything powerful.

I'm fully aware of that, but it shouldn't be that bad. I mean there are people playing games like call of duty at high setting and in 2k resolution and like 45fps using that same gpu out there, with less powerful cpu and RAMs than me in addition to that, yet I get 20 Fps in ultra low setting at 720p in Star Citizen.

Sep 29, 2021
As someone has already mentioned, can you run userbenchmark and paste a link to your result please, we may get a better insight as to what is going on.

I did it indeed here are the results:

UserBenchmarks: Game 56%, Desk 96%, Work 58%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 86.5%
GPU: AMD RX 580 - 55.8%
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 306.4%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x16GB - 88.1%
MBD: MSI B450-A PRO MAX (MS-7B86)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/46675525

logainofhades

Titan
Well I start in Orizon, but I didn't even try to go much further as it is completely unplayable. I said earlier that I felt like I was getting 20 Fps but I just checked the stats and I actually get like 10 fps in average, in ultra low setting max down... and at 1080p.

Here is a screenshot of my task manager while the game is running. View: https://imgur.com/a/ezd3bIa

The bad area seem to be the gpu, but I'm pretty sure with the rx 580 8gb it shouldn't be that bad, don't you think?

100% GPU utilization, with lowish CPU utilization. Time for a faster GPU. The RX 580 is more of a 1080p card, these days, and even then it will struggle in newer titles.

Sep 29, 2021
100% GPU utilization, with lowish CPU utilization. Time for a faster GPU. The RX 580 is more of a 1080p card, these days, and even then it will struggle in newer titles.

Thank you for your help!
Yeah I know that my GPU is the bad guy in this set up, but from what I see everywhere, it shouldn't be that bad I think. I mean if you do a quick search on Youtube with the words "RX 580 8gb and Star Citizen" you find many videos of people playing the game in 1080p at 60 fps or even 2440p at 40fps in high settings. I'm not even capable of playing the game at more than 10fps low settings at 1080p or 20fps at 720p ultra low setting, and I had to overclocked my GPU as well to reach that poor performance. Is it possible that I'm not getting the full potential from my GPU because of building mistake, a software or something else?
What base line GPUs would you recommend me to buy to play the game smoothly in 2k and ultra high settings? I would love to buy a new graphic card but their prices are through the roof at the moment.

Oh man, that's your problem LOL. CIG just implemented new cloud tech for Orizon, and EVERYONE gets 10-20FPS there. Even on RTX 3090s.

So its the game that's the problem, do yourself a favor and fly out of Orizon and your frame rates will be significantly better.,

Reactions: Phaaze88