Question Good PC for Rendering, graphics, coding, game dev, audio, streaming, and more. (work horse)

Jan 25, 2022
I am looking at a new computer to replace my old build but I am in a hurry for a turn around because my current one is crashing. I was looking at gaming PCs because they are made to handle some heavy processing, but I know not all things are the same.

I was looking at simpler options like an HP:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/produc...0i/32480777/model/37913373/document/c06681746

Or a gaming PC from NewEgg
https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali570/p...05&cm_sp=Dailydeal_SS-_-83-360-205-_-01252022

I have a budget of 1500 could get up to about 2000 but would rather keep it more at 1500. Optic out, wifi, & hdmi for multiple monitors would be nice, but I know I can add the audio and wifi I just have had bad luck with audio drivers for soundcards in the past. I am looking for something good that will last and deal with running many things at once. Anyone have some good options that are built?

I should add I need one that will encrypt so that increases the workload if I am working with encryption running. I think most MBs have the chips for that, but the issue is working with encryption just adds to the workload.

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Going for an OEM might give you a good service and support, but it will always restrict your future upgradability,
With the current GPU pricing, Here the MSRP price of RTX 3060 is 349USD, Now bulk of the money goes to the GPUS, in that case the i5 11 gen costs 180USD, Motherboard budget board 180USD,
So the build seems decent, i will be pretty happy if newegg lists the motherboard and gpu model clearly.

You can go for the Prebuild from Newegg, But Newegg is not showing the Make or company name, you just have to go by the reviews.

my suggestion is if you have time then you can choose the parts individually and make the vendor assemble it for you.

In that way it will give you the chance to build a PC for your needs, you can choose either you want i5 or i7 kindoff

Reactions: drotty
Jan 25, 2022
The issue is I don't have the time to devote to building a system with all the issues that can come up and the lack of support you can ran into (I still have nightmares from the DDR motherboard compatibility when it turned out that my old board actually never tested them but listed them in the approved which I only found out after days of calls to their support where a person found it out in their records). I have some funding as well and I am pretty sure they will not go for building one. I should add this will be my first prebuild ever, I have always made mine in the past so I am completely lost when it comes to them. I just want something that will handle tons of programs running and once. I also was looking at one listed on the forums here...

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/des...rationid=95535511-3677-4ea5-a542-f82fa86b140b

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
The issue is I don't have the time to devote to building a system with all the issues that can come up and the lack of support you can ran into (I still have nightmares from the DDR motherboard compatibility when it turned out that my old board actually never tested them but listed them in the approved which I only found out after days of calls to their support where a person found it out in their records). I have some funding as well and I am pretty sure they will not go for building one. I should add this will be my first prebuild ever, I have always made mine in the past so I am completely lost when it comes to them. I just want something that will handle tons of programs running and once. I also was looking at one listed on the forums here...

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/des...rationid=95535511-3677-4ea5-a542-f82fa86b140b
if you dont have time, then i would rather buy custom prebuilt, rather than oem, the oems have zero upgradability

kanewolf

Titan
if you dont have time, then i would rather buy custom prebuilt, rather than oem, the oems have zero upgradability
I would disagree with that statement. Limited upgradability is a more accurate characterization. RAM can be upgraded in an OEM. CPUs may be upgraded, but the choices maybe limited. Power supply can be an issue because of proprietary connectors. The power supply can limit graphics card upgrades. But for the use-case the OP has, graphics upgrades are less important.

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
I would disagree with that statement. Limited upgradability is a more accurate characterization. RAM can be upgraded in an OEM. CPUs may be upgraded, but the choices maybe limited. Power supply can be an issue because of proprietary connectors. The power supply can limit graphics card upgrades. But for the use-case the OP has, graphics upgrades are less important.
Agreed but the main advantage of desktop is its upgradability, Yes Ram can be upgraded but its pointless sometimes.

Jan 25, 2022
Advantage over what?
Swapping a motherboard CPU and RAM (because Intel requires a new motherboard) isn't an "upgrade", IMO. It just means you like the case.

Lol, I do like me case. 😢 I ran in to the issues with my custom is the older MBs lack the encryption chip option, but also so many ram issues, where they listed false specs and when I got that sorted out hit the throttle block Windows added to 7 and maybe 10 for RAM, then the cards got dated but finding one what worked with it became and issue...yeah I learned the hard way that sometimes you have less options than you think. I was able to swap the power in a older build because the one in it was causing the blue screen of death. But with this one the MB software barely works anymore, the graphics cards are lacking good support... so depressing. 😭

Jan 25, 2022

Would customs run in to more issues with software and things like tablet compatibility vs with OEMs though? I am stuck running so many programs and such that I have been burnt by that too.

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Advantage over what?
Swapping a motherboard CPU and RAM (because Intel requires a new motherboard) isn't an "upgrade", IMO. It just means you like the case.
[/Q
Would customs run in to more issues with software and things like tablet compatibility vs with OEMs though? I am stuck running so many programs and such that I have been burnt by that too.
Custom depends upon the components you use, not all motherboards from all brands are good, even the high end only, plus not all gpus from all the brands are good, so choosing the best for the budget is in your hands, and there is luck too, but on the whole custom build is good, not many face issues if done properly, now windows 10 is pretty stable,

Jan 25, 2022
I may need links to suggestions because I am having no luck finding them thus far but I think all the replies have been more on parts versus the system and my brain is a bit fried right now, perhaps I need a brainchip thingy too.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
All of the ones you listed you would need to add more memory and drive space.
For software issues that should not be a problem as long as the software is supported by the operating system.

Jan 25, 2022
All of the ones you listed you would need to add more memory and drive space.
For software issues that should not be a problem as long as the software is supported by the operating system.

Yeah I was going to add what I could in my budget, I also was looking at ones in other threads but not sure how well they turned out.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah I was going to add what I could in my budget, I also was looking at ones in other threads but not sure how well they turned out.
What video card do you have now?

EDIT in fact what was the parts used in general if your not sure you can run this benchmark and it will show everything if it don't crash, post a link to the results.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
What video card do you have now?

EDIT in fact what was the parts used in general if your not sure you can run this benchmark and it will show everything if it don't crash, post a link to the results.

Lol, my computer is bad, not worried about comparing it and it is impossible to use due to lack of the encryption chip along with several other issues...let's pretend I don't even have one.:ROFLMAO:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Lol, my computer is bad, not worried about comparing it and it is impossible to use due to lack of the encryption chip along with several other issues...let's pretend I don't even have one.:ROFLMAO:
I would build this and for the video card join the Newegg Shuffle every day till you can get a 3060 ti or 3060 should be in the 450 to 600 area.
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor | $294.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler | Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler | $59.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | Asus PRIME Z690-P WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard | $234.29 @ Amazon
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $114.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $69.98 @ Amazon
Storage | Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $99.99 @ Adorama
Case | Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case | $97.49 @ Amazon
Power Supply | Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $104.99 @ Corsair
Case Fan | ARCTIC P14 PST 72.8 CFM 140 mm Fan | $11.49 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $1088.20
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-01-26 19:49 EST-0500 |

You would also need the mounting kit for the cooler.
https://www.amazon.com/Scythe-Mount...cphy=9025890&hvtargid=pla-1522554540709&psc=1

But if you just can't wait for the video card then probably this that you already listed not a complete power house but a decent PC.
https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali570/p/N82E16883360205?Item=N82E16883360205&cm_sp=Dailydeal_SS-_-83-360-205-_-01252022&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-Future+Publishing+Ltd&AFFID=2294204&AFFNAME=Future+Publishing+Ltd&ACRID=1&ASUBID=tomshardware-us-1071312235118598700&ASID=https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/good-pc-for-rendering-graphics-coding-game-dev-audio-streaming-and-more-work-horse.3746753/&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2294204&ranSiteID=kXQk6.ivFEQ-aOVxv4zo0_ohwM0gGvUuJg

Take the memory out of the PC and sell it and add this memory along with the extra storage just need one of the SSD's not sure how much storage you need. You can try it with the included memory first and if the 16GB is enough then no reason to buy more but you will need the extra storage.
You will also need to buy a SATA cable for the drive just like 5 bucks or so.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $114.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $99.99 @ Adorama
Storage | Crucial MX500 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $174.99 @ Adorama
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $389.97
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-01-26 19:57 EST-0500 |

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
That is a nice list of things but I can't wait for a card and pretty unsure about building right now. I had thought about posting in the section to build your own, but then posted it to the prebuild instead. I don't have issues adding drives or memory (although I have had issues dealing with memory specs in the past, they listed that they worked with a board but they had gotten their info wrong).

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
OK how about this one?

https://www.newegg.com/hp-pavilion-tg01-gaming-entertainment/p/1VK-001E-4DT32?Item=9SIAA0SH883221

or this one...

https://www.costco.com/cyberpowerpc-xtreme-gaming-desktop---11th-gen-intel-core-i7-11700f---geforce-rtx-3070,-black.product.100775390.html

I think the costco one matches my needs and they have a good return policy. I know at times costco products take a few shortcut, but it seems many prebuilts do.
I would not go with HP for the reasons: 1 they provide a Generic motherboard, Case not much compatible for future,
So custom build by newegg or others Best

Jan 25, 2022
I ended up getting the one from costco because of the return policy and I needed a fast turn around, Newegg had several weeks on all custom build your owns and their prebuilts all lacked random things I needed.

https://www.costco.com/lenovo-legio...-rtx-3070---windows-11.product.100804385.html

The guy in the department for ABS was telling me to go with this one but it was lacking a few things I needed which would have knocked the price up more and costco gives you a little back on purchases so it was a little less than the listed price. Also I can return the costco one for this other if I need to.

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali590/p/N82E16883360225?Item=N82E16883360225

Reactions: coolraveen

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Good you have zeroed in on something, just for your info, collect details about the build you have bought, like motherboard make, case features etc, and keep an eye of the cpu, gpu temps as it will be useful for you, and check it up with the vendor regarding warranty also

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
I was hoping someone here may have used one of the ones I linked because they were just from other people that were asking about them but never got replies, but from what I can tell it is the one in this video (doesn't list costco) but the costco warranty is supposed to be really good for computers.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChmOrwZmDcY
Maybe you can buy it then, time is all