Good PC Games with a story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

F_Pastor

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Hey, forum. Can anybody recommend me some good PC games that have a good story?
Free would be awesome.

Just looking for good, simple games, like To The Moon or something like that. Thanks

-Francis

Solution
Great story driven games:

Metro2033

Half-Life2

F.E.A.R (yes...it is a fantastic story, IMO....it's just a shame the direction it took after the original game)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R (one of the great PC game series in life)

I think truly great stories coupled with meaningful character development are kind of the last frontier of the single-player campaign.

cl-scott

Honorable
Might not be the most simple game, but Final Fantasy 7 for the PC just got an update to make it compatible with newer OS versions. While I personally think the game is a bit overrated -- it's a good game to be sure, I just don't think it's worth the level of veneration some people give it -- it's still a solid RPG.

The original Dawn of War series was actually pretty good. The first game had a pretty good story on the whole, the Winter Assault expansion you'd be better off just skipping IMO, but Dark Crusade and Soulstorm are both pretty good despite having only a paper thin plot. You may even end up like me, and get hooked on the various book series' set in the same universe.

If you play Borderlands, be prepared for one of the single most anti-climatic endings of any game ever. Rest of the game isn't too bad through.

And you also can't leave out StarCraft, either the original or StarCraft 2. WarCraft 3 wasn't bad either, and Blizzard is usually pretty good about updating even its old games.

Wixman

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Oblivion and Skyrim stories were mediocre at best. The gameplay on them also was either you love it or you hate it. I hated it.

Witcher 1 and 2 had pretty decent storyline plus you occasionally got to see boobs if that's your thing.

The Mass Effect series but especially 2 and 3 were great. The gameplay was fantastic and part 3 keyed off decisions you made in part 2. Again, GREAT.

Chronicles of Riddick games were decent (if you like FPS/sneakers) and you can get the package of 1 and 2 for nearly nothing now. Good if you were a fan of the Pitch Black / Riddick movies for sure.

If you've never played them, Star Control 2 and 3 are ancient but have some of the best storyline EVER.

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Where can i find this FF7 game?

G

S.T.A.L.K.E.R, The witcher 2 if you like rpg's, Alan wake, Dead space 1&2, Bioshock 1 and 2,Metro 2033, Darksiders is a good game and Darksiders 2, Batman AA & AC, assassins creed series, crysis and crysis warhead, Battlefield 3 is a bit short but it has a good storyline in my opinion.

F_Pastor

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
I've played half of those games lol (Elder Scrolls Series, Fallout Series, some off Mass Effect). Gonna check out Alan Wake sooner or later and maybe STALKER.

Anybody know any good Indie Games as well? Again, with a good story. Thanks

-Francis

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Well, as I mentioned Bastion before, it was from an indie developer and published by WB games. I'd strongly recommend it. It has an interesting gating system for increasing difficulty in-game, and the in-game on the fly narration for developing the story is one of the most succinct but satisfying story deliveries in any rpg that I've played in several years, and should stand as a learning point for the entire genre in my opinion. Also, it has arguably the best game soundtrack from 2011.

no 1 mentions halflife 2?, stalker is 1 of my favorite story driven franchises.
other storys i liked were mass effect but only if you play from the beginning.
a good boot and shooter is bulletstorm it does have a story but its not up to much... but great fun regardless of that... deadspace is worth a look. as is deus ex 3. personally i liked witcher 2 over the witcher and liked dragon age origins over fallout 3.
max payne 3 is good if your system runs it... a lot of people still cant play it months after release. it has a decent story but is more like an interactive movie than a game... splinter cell is a sort of story driven game but you have to play them from the start of the franchise to see it. metro has a weak story but while you play it you will enjoy it. even if it makes little sense. i would also say check out assasins creed but the first game really lets the franchise down. and you will be better off story wise by skipping that 1 and going straight from 2.
risen and risen 2 are story driven and has a bit of depth so worth a look. binary domain is a new title and is a suprise in that it does have a bit of depth in an Asimov kinda sci fi way. some may not like this but starcraft actually has a nice little story that helps the gameplay along. i dont particularly like the multiplayer but the campaing was entertaining.
alan wake is a joke... its a pc to console port ported back from the console and because of that it lost any depth it had. stay well clear.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Great story driven games:

Metro2033

Half-Life2

F.E.A.R (yes...it is a fantastic story, IMO....it's just a shame the direction it took after the original game)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R (one of the great PC game series in life)

I think truly great stories coupled with meaningful character development are kind of the last frontier of the single-player campaign.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.