Question Good PC gone bad

Farkas Sandor

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2015
Hello there ,
I've just got a pc combo including an AsRock B85-M Motherboard with an I5-4460 CPU , 16 gigs of ram ( Hyperx blue ddr3 ) but it wont turn on .
It seems like it is boot looping , i've exhausted all my ideas so i need new ones to give it a try .
When I turn it on , the fan on the CPU cooler starts turning for like 2 seconds then its off , and it repeats that for infinite . The PSU is fine (Xilence 580W )i've tested it on another PC and it works fine .
I've tried turning it on without ram sticks , same problem . I've cleaned the whole motherboard with a soft brush , it was full of dust.
So , the question is , can i do something with it? The thing is that 1150 motherboards are hard to find these days in my country.
Any opinions are well recepted , thanks !

Dec 25, 2019
Hello there ,
I've just got a pc combo including an AsRock B85-M Motherboard with an I5-4460 CPU , 16 gigs of ram ( Hyperx blue ddr3 ) but it wont turn on .
It seems like it is boot looping , i've exhausted all my ideas so i need new ones to give it a try .
When I turn it on , the fan on the CPU cooler starts turning for like 2 seconds then it's off , and it repeats that for infinite . The PSU is fine (Xilence 580W )i've tested it on another PC and it works fine .
I've tried turning it on without ram sticks , same problem . I've cleaned the whole motherboard with a soft brush , it was full of dust.
So , the question is , can i do something with it? The thing is that 1150 motherboards are hard to find these days in my country.
Any opinions are well recepted , thanks !
my brothers computer did that a couple of times with the same cpu and what i did to fix it was i took out the ram and blew on the ram slots and it worked but then it stopped fixing it when i did it next and it turned out his motherboard was on its way out so if i were you try to test it with different ram and maybe a different cpu but if it doesnt work i would say your motherboard is probably dead

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
Try to boot with the cpu and the cooler only. If the motherboard is working and you have a speaker (like this), it should beep.
Alternatively, here are some tricks you can try:
  • the aforementioned ram reseat method
  • remove the cmos battery and put it back at least 30 minutes later. Remove any leftover power (see last method)
  • reseat the cpu. I did that recently on my computer, which didn't want to dispaly any image. I blew into the socket before reinstalling teh cpu, but I don't think it's recommended.
  • (if you have the motheboard inside a case): while the power supply is unlugged from the wall, hold the power for a few seconds to discharge any capacitors, and then leave it like that for a while. (I suppose shorting the power switch pins on the motherboard should work).

PhiNix

Honorable
Mar 16, 2015
I would try and take out the CPU carefully then inspecting the pins on the motherboard to see if any are bent. You'll need to angle it in different directions to see if every pin row is aligned. You'll see it straight away if one is bent. Also make sure that nothing is grounded and that you have all the motherboard mounting screws installed in the case.