Question Good PC specs but rarely getting past 60 fps on easy to run games ?

Jul 13, 2022
I play pretty basic games like League of Legends, Valorant, and Minecraft. However, In League I can never get over 60 fps. I've already changed battery settings to high performance. My specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 cores, 8 logical processors
Motherboard: HP 8053 (idk this is just what System Information says)
Ram 64GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 CL19 Dual Channel
SSD: SanDisk SDSSDA-1T00
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3050 Dual Fan 8GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0
PSU: PowerSpec 750W PS 750BSM
Monitors: Asus TUF Gaming VG279QM 280Hz

I Ran a Pc benchmark test on userbenchmark.com and this was the result https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/53861003.
I don't overclock my GPU, I still have around 500 gb of free space on my SSD so that can't be the problem either. I want to say that the motherboard is the bottleneck, but idk. The CPU isn't top of the line or anything, but it isn't bad.

Don't worry too much about userbenchmark test results that claim to be below expectations. As far as I know that site just compares your PC to an aggregate of other user's PCs, many of whom may have OCed their processors. Without that test even asking users to state whether their CPU or GPU are OCed, and comparing in like categories, it makes it rather skewed toward those whom OC.

My 8700K, 1080, 16GB RAM rig has always gamed fine, but out of curiosity I tested it on that site, and it said mine was performing below expectations too. Since I run both processors at stock speed, it lead me to conclude most whom use the site are probably overclocking, so it thinks that is the norm. It really should ask if your rig is stock speed or OCed, and only give comparisons from those same categories.

At any rate, check to see if the games installed with Vsync turned on (which many games do). That said, pairing a 280Hz display with a relatively weak (by today's standards) GPU like the 3050 is seriously going to limit you to games you can get very high frame rates on. The i7-6700 is also going to be a weak link in CPU bound games like Valorant.

I ran your spec through a bottleneck calculator and LoL and Minecraft showed acceptable results, but Valorant shows as bottlenecked nearly 85%, meaning the GPU will only perform at barely more than 15% of it's potential in that game. I'm guessing there's more to this problem than a bottleneck though.

Last edited: