Mar 18, 2021
Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone could help me figure out why my PC is underperforming in games. My current components are:
  • X470F Motherboard
  • 16GB G-Skill Tridentz 3200Mhz RAM
  • Ryzen 7 2700x CPU
  • RTX 2070 Armor GPU
  • Crucial MX500 SSD
  • 750W EVGA 80+ Gold
The problem I'm encountering in games is frame drops/lower frames than expected. In CSGO for instance, I get around 300 frames at the max when looking at a wall and in gunfights I get around 150-160 with drops to 140. I've seen many people with much worse components getting the same frames as me or even higher and it's frustrating that I can't get the frames I should be getting when I spent so much on the PC. I also play on the lowest settings so it's not because I have all the settings on high/very high.

My friend with a similar build (RX 5700XT and Ryzen 7 3700x) gets around 300+ fps consistently in gunfights and 500+ when looking at a wall, both being almost double what I get. To test this out, I went into a deathmatch with him and we both looked at the same spot. I thought my FPS was super high at an inconsistent 220 but it turned out he was getting 400+. Remember this test was done in a spot on the map with no action and in a server with only around 10 people so my frames were higher than usual.

I've tried the following:
  • Reset PC and did a clean install of windows.
  • Updated drivers and BIOS to current version.
  • Disabled run antimalware service executable as it was using a lot of ram (re-enabled after it did nothing for fps).
  • Set RAM to 3200Mhz in BIOS.
  • Turned off fast boot in BIOS and windows 10.
  • Set power plan to high performance.
  • Configured Nvidia control panel 3D settings for maximum performance.
  • Turned off geforce experience in game overlay.
  • Overclocked GPU in afterburner.
  • Overclocked RAM to +500mhz in afterburner.
  • Made sure GPU was in correct PCIe slot - x16 3.0.
  • Enabled precision boost overdrive in BIOS and ryzen master to see if it would help fps (didn't really do anything).
  • Downloaded GPU-Z and CPU-Z to see if anything was wrong with components but there were no problems found.
  • Turned on D.O.C.P. in BIOS (Asus AMD version of XMP profiles).
  • Disabled windows defender real time protection (also re-enabled after it did nothing).
  • Installed all windows 10 updates.
  • Set all settings to the lowest in-game.
  • Disabled G-Sync.
  • Disabled FPS limit in game.
According to MSI Afterburner I'm also only getting around 20% CPU usage and 35% GPU usage whether I'm in a workshop map with only me or in a stacked deathmatch lobby with 24 people. I find it weird because not only does the usage stay the same no matter what but CS is a very CPU based game so I thought it would be more than 20%. These problems also occur in other games such as Valorant.

After looking through so many posts I don't know what to do and it's terrible because every time I get into a gunfight I just get frame drops and it's making me lose interest in the game. If someone could please help me fix this it would be the best thing to happen in 2021.

Here's a benchmark of the PC. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/41083830

Last edited:
Solution
I'm not sure if the virtual and physical memory is referring to RAM or the SSD memory, if it's referring to RAM then something is wrong because I have 16GB installed.
My primary and only display is the AlienwareAW2518H which is a 240hz monitor.

There's two different types of RAM - virtual RAM and physical memory. Virtual RAM is set by Windows and the physical RAM is the actual hardware RAM.

One thing that could explain lag on the other hand is if you're running a 240Hz display and you don't have the proper cable setup. If you're using a standard HDMI cable that could be a source of lag. Monitors with high refresh rates need DP 1.3 at a minimum, and DP 1.4 is recommended. If you have anything other than that you will experience...

g-unit1111

Titan
I guess the question I have after reading all of this is are you running on Wifi or are you running a hard wired connection? If you run Wifi you will get some lag, running off a Wifi connection will always cause games to lag a bit. Hardwired is always better in that regard.

Alternately it could be your storage configuration. Is your primary SSD an M2 or is it a 2.5" drive? Either way you should try updating the firmware in your primary boot drive, that could always provide a boost in loading times.

Another thing I would inquire too is your primary display - what's the exact make and model of it? Occasionally that can also be a hiccup in terms of frame rate performance.

Mar 18, 2021
I guess the question I have after reading all of this is are you running on Wifi or are you running a hard wired connection? If you run Wifi you will get some lag, running off a Wifi connection will always cause games to lag a bit. Hardwired is always better in that regard.

Alternately it could be your storage configuration. Is your primary SSD an M2 or is it a 2.5" drive? Either way you should try updating the firmware in your primary boot drive, that could always provide a boost in loading times.

Another thing I would inquire too is your primary display - what's the exact make and model of it? Occasionally that can also be a hiccup in terms of frame rate performance.
I'm running on a LAN connection with 500mb/s fibre. My primary SSD and boot drive is Crucial MX500 which is an M.2 SSD and I tried to update the firmware but all I could find was crucial storage executive which I have installed. I didn't notice any increase and FPS when I installed it however. Here's a screenshot of the storage executive home page View: https://imgur.com/a/TcM9MCe
I'm not sure if the virtual and physical memory is referring to RAM or the SSD memory, if it's referring to RAM then something is wrong because I have 16GB installed.

Last edited:

g-unit1111

Titan

There's two different types of RAM - virtual RAM and physical memory. Virtual RAM is set by Windows and the physical RAM is the actual hardware RAM.

One thing that could explain lag on the other hand is if you're running a 240Hz display and you don't have the proper cable setup. If you're using a standard HDMI cable that could be a source of lag. Monitors with high refresh rates need DP 1.3 at a minimum, and DP 1.4 is recommended. If you have anything other than that you will experience lag.

Solution