Good power stripe/surge protector

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
I have a few household electronics and a home theater that are on 'smart' power stripes. One of them failed and I feel the build quality is not sufficient. I also don't use the 'smart' features because the connected apps are poorly designed. I am looking for a simple good quality surge protector with 2~4 outlets.
I will be replacing one of them with a Tripp-Lite Isobar for a computer/TV/Speakers, but I don't think any of the other electronics require something like an Isobar.

Ralston18

Titan
Google "surge protector reviews 2020"

Read a few reviews and get a sense of the requirements, the functions, and the features. Think about what you need protected and how much protection you need. Joules matter. Damage is cumulative and overtime multiple "hits" will reduce overall protection.

Refresher link:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/10-things-you-should-know-about-surge-protectors/

Pick two or three candidates and go to the manufacturer's website to read the applicable User Guide/Manuals. Also read any Forums or FAQs that may be present. Read the fine print, any notes, and the disclaimers. Look for what is said versus what is not said.

On feature to look for is being able to "wall mount" the surge protector. And I do not mean the ones that plug directly into a wall outlet without having their own cord.

I mean the surge protectors that have notches in the back so the surge protector can be mounted horizontally or vertically somewhere to the side. Then plugged into just one outlet via the surge protector's own cord and plug.

Very handy to help keep cables, cords, up off of the floor.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
Good response.
I tend to avoid doing searches for reviews since the first few links tend to just be sponsored ads disguised as reviews. It's a bit difficult now to pick with Amazon reviews and people who really know what they are talking about. For instance picture reviews discussing why the internals are poor on a brand that has a good reputation.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
I looked at Tripp-lite, APC, CyberPower, and Belkin. I decided to go with 2 GE brand surge protectors(30572, 14021) in the $17 range. Belkin has good reviews but inconsistent quality. I like the other brands higher price tag offerings, but the reviews were poor for their lower price offerings or smaller form factors.
I didn't need an Iso-bar for the task at hand. I think the GEs were the most simple with the highest build quality in the price range I was looking at. If I remember I'll tell you how it goes.