Feb 14, 2023
Hi, so I was thinking of buying a pre-built PC that's under a thousand dollars, but I really don't know what I should be looking for. I'm not at all familiar with PCs or PC parts. I'm looking for something that runs fast, shows everything in either 1080p or 1440p, works great with streaming, and has a lot of storage space so I can play games like Jurassic World Evolution 2 or Yakuza 0. Does anyone know what I should get or what I should look for?

At the $1000 level, you will have to accept some compromises, such as:

1; anxiety over the modest power supply it will include

2; doubt about the cooler it will include, moreso if it happens to be a liquid cooler

3; concern about the proprietary parts used, which might include case, motherboard, and power supply.

4; less capable graphics card than you would prefer.

You can certainly have a good experience if the cards fall your way on the above concerns...........depending on your expectations.

Better idea is to buy a pile of parts and pay someone to assemble them for a price, but even that idea is shaky at the 1000 dollar level.

Reactions: Why_Me

logainofhades

Titan
Building your own, you definitely do get a better system.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($186.96 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin King SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($21.40 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($77.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Challenger D OC Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card ($349.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Deepcool MATREXX 40 3FS MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($58.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $980.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-14 15:05 EST-0500

Will you ever...ever want to upgrade the pc?
If so, think twice about a pre built unit.
Such a pc will have only the minimum parts to make it run with the initial configuration.
Some parts may be proprietary.
The quality of some of those parts will be unknown.
If you have a problem you may have to ship it back to them to get it fixed under warranty.