Good price for 3TB hard drive?

Ryan_78

Honorable
Hey I just got offered a 3TB used hard drive for $45 bucks, it's a Seagate 3TB barracuda. Is this a good price nowadays? I haven't been in the PC market for a while :)
AnvPO8O.png

Solution
Personally, I wouldn't go for a 3TB drive, especially a used one. It's best that you get a 2TB 7200rpm instead, and if you really want more than 2TB, you could go for either a 2TB 7200rpm x 1TB 7200rpm, or a 2TB 7200rpm x 2TB 7200rpm. It will cost you a bit more for one 2TB drive, but at least it guarantees longer usage of the hard drive which is definitely worth it. Overall, if you're willing to do the gamble, you could go for the 3TB, or if you want to play it safe, go for something else.

jesse13williamson

Honorable
May 20, 2018
It is a good price, however the Seagate 3TB Barracuda is well known to be a pretty unreliable hard drive, sometimes dying within months. If it's used then I wouldn't go for it, but if it's brand new then it's up to you. Although you should back-up all the data that you aren't prepared to lose. I'm not saying that it will necessarily fail for you, the general consensus is that it's not a good reliable long-term hard drive.

Hope this helped!

May 17, 2018
Personally, I wouldn't go for a 3TB drive, especially a used one. It's best that you get a 2TB 7200rpm instead, and if you really want more than 2TB, you could go for either a 2TB 7200rpm x 1TB 7200rpm, or a 2TB 7200rpm x 2TB 7200rpm. It will cost you a bit more for one 2TB drive, but at least it guarantees longer usage of the hard drive which is definitely worth it. Overall, if you're willing to do the gamble, you could go for the 3TB, or if you want to play it safe, go for something else.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS