Question Good PSU for my system?

Exposure_

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Specs

would this be enough power for my rig? having display issues using a 750 w bronze+ rn as well as performance issues that i think are linked to the psu as well, just want to be sure that this will be enough.
Thanks!! :)

PSU

Hello Exposure_. The 750 wattage appears perfect to me, although I personally would never power my systems with a Rosewill power supply. I would only consider what I believe are higher quality units, in my opinion: EVGA, Seasonic, Corsair, and only their top tier and fully modular models. In addition to the quality, you'd also get 10 to 12 year warranties with any of those product stacks at the 750 watt level.

With that said, I have no idea if a new quality power supply would solve your problem, because you haven't stated it.

Also, completely unrelated to your question, I noticed that you have a single 16 DIMM in your system. Because you don't have a complete pair of RAM sticks in your system, you're by definition not in dual channel mode, and hence leaving a lot of FPS gaming performance on the table. I recommend that you purchase a 2nd 16 GB stick of the exact same brand, speed, size and chip-type,and place it in the appropriate slot, according to your motherboard manual. Looking at the manual, for a Ryzen Summit Ridge CPU, a single DIMM (SR or DR) should be installed in slot A2, while dual DIMMs should be installed in A2, and B2. If you ignore the memory slot recommendations, enable XMP, and overclock RAM to rated speed, you will very likely experience serious system and windows stability problems.

FYI: Your OLOy branded RAM is not on the Asrock Ftal1ty B450 Gaming K4 QVL (qualitified vendors list), although it's possible that this brand did not exist when they tested memory for this board. I only started hearing about it two months ago.

-- PSUs that I'd personally consider --

EVGA: G2 / P2 / T2
EVGA G3
: It's probably just as high quality as above, but I've read customer reviews mentioning annoying acoustics of fan curve, therefore I personally avoid it for that reason alone.
Seasonic: Focus / Prime Ultra
Corsair: AX(i) / HX(i) / RM*

-- user PSU specs --

Current PSU: Rosewill Hive-750S
User considered future PSU: Rosewill Photo 1200 watt

-- TDP of GPU and CPU --

Vega 64 TDP: 295 watts
Ryzen 7 1700X TDP: 95 watts
GPU + CPU = 390 watts

Last edited:
Reactions: Exposure_

Exposure_

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Hello Exposure_. The 750 wattage appears perfect to me, although personally would never power my systems with a Rosewill power supply. I would only consider what I believe are higher quality units, in my opinion: EVGA, Seasonic, Corsair, and only their top tier and fully modular models. In addition to the quality, you'd also get 10 to 12 year warranties with any of those product stacks at the 750 watt level.

With that said, I have no idea if a new quality power supply would solve your problem, because you haven't stated it.

Also, completely unrelated to your question, I noticed that you have a single 16 DIMM in your system. Because you don't have a complete pair of RAM sticks in your system, you're by definition not in dual channel mode, and hence leaving a lot of performance on the table. I recommend that you purchase a 2nd 16 GB stick of the exact same brand, speed, size and chip-type,and place it in the appropriate slot, according to your motherboard manual. Looking at the manual, for a Ryzen Summit Ridge CPU, a single DIMM (SR or DR) should be installed in slot A2, while dual DIMMs should be installed in A2, and B2. If you ignore the memory slot recommendations, enable XMP, and overclock RAM to rated speed, you will very likely experience serious system and windows stability problems.

FYI: Your OLOy branded RAM is not on the Asrock Ftal1ty B450 Gaming K4 QVL (qualitified vendors list), although it's possible that this brand did not exist when they tested memory for this board. I only started hearing about it two months ago.

-- PSUs that I'd personally consider --

EVGA: G2 / P2 / T2
EVGA G3
: It's probably just as high quality as above, but I've read customer reviews mentioning annoying acoustics of fan curve, therefore I personally avoid it for that reason alone.
Seasonic: Focus / Prime Ultra
Corsair: AX(i) / HX(i) / RM*

-- user PSU specs --

Current PSU: Rosewill Hive-750S
User considered future PSU: Rosewill Photo 1200 watt

-- TDP of GPU and CPU --

Vega 64 TDP: 295 watts
Ryzen 7 1700X TDP: 95 watts
GPU + CPU = 390 watts
Thank you for your very detailed reply! I will surely invest in another 16gb stick very soon since black friday is approaching, also I moved my ram stick to a2 and made sure that i was running auto instead of an xmp profile overclocked. I also purchased a new vesa certified displayport cable to see if that fixes my display issues, and i can see my monitor bleeding in dead pixels on the bottom right and left so maybe it could be the monitor? im not 100% sure but just a guess. For reference my monitor will be linked here

I'm not a display expert, but dead pixels in the bottom right and left sounds like a display defect to me. How much did you pay for the Sceptre C275B-144R? My reason for asking is because when I google the model, I see Walmart selling it for $262.

For that money, the monitor below is a 1440p, which is a huge upgrade over 1080p. I personally game on 1440p, so I know this from experience.

AOC CQ27G1 27" Curved (1440p / 144Hz / FreeSync / Height adjustable)
$249.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V39QHMY

Do you have a computer display that you could borrow from someone to troubleshoot your problem? Regardless, if you believe your display is defective, then consider returning it and buying a replacement.

Reactions: Exposure_

Exposure_

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Nice ive been looking for a good 1440p monitor, also after changing my ram to the correct slot and performing the changes in my previous message, ive been stuck in a boot loop, not sure why, no usb connected devices power on with my computer or any displays and it stays on for about 30 seconds before restarting itself and repeating. Im gonna check my power supply cables right now.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
As for its electrical performance, it is good but uninspiring by today's standards. We recorded very low voltage ripple levels and found the output power quality of the Hive to be very good, even considering the higher ripple that we saw with the unit heavily cross-loaded. The regulation of the voltage lines could be improved, as it is acceptable but not really good for a high performance PSU. Finally, the electrical conversion efficiency is obviously not competitive against the newer, more advanced platforms available today, but it is good for an 80Plus Bronze certified unit and meets the performance levels it is supposed to.

For a Sirfa platform, it's seriously not a bad unit, a few issues thermally due to smallish heatsinks, but overall very good quality for what it is and it's price point.

Doubt the issue was with the psu, or the gpu. More than likely any issues could be more directly linked to 1x16Gb ram in a 1st gen Ryzen, but specific pixeling issues are monitor related.

Exposure_

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Update : Boot loop is fixed, Thank you everyone for the help, especially rcald2000 .
I am going to get an call and try to get an rma on my current monitor that is having issues, my power supply will be coming in tomorrow and i should be all set, thanks!