[SOLVED] Good PSU with 8+4 CPU/MB connector?...

MarkS02

Prominent
Aug 25, 2020
Hi,

Need PSU recommendations, ASAP.

New ASUS Prime Z490-A MB ATX w/ i5-10400 2.9mhz; 65w. Has standard 24 pin connector but instead of a 4 or 4+4 it has an 8+4 connector.

Graphics card is MSI GTX 980Ti with 8+6 connector rated at 230w maxed out, which I'll never do.

Want a quality PSU 500-600w with the 8+4 connector. Don't want to mess with adaptors.

Question: Is an EPS connector I see in modular PSUs safe to plug into the MB?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
Actually, it has a 4+4 and an addition 4 pin, all of which are EPS 12v CPU auxiliary power connections.

You want a quality 600w or higher unit for that 980 ti. Anything less than 600w is questionable at best, even if it is a good quality unit.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($128.82 @ Amazon)
Total: $128.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-26 18:57 EDT-0400
Actually, it has a 4+4 and an addition 4 pin, all of which are EPS 12v CPU auxiliary power connections.

You want a quality 600w or higher unit for that 980 ti. Anything less than 600w is questionable at best, even if it is a good quality unit.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($128.82 @ Amazon)
Total: $128.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-26 18:57 EDT-0400

Reactions: MarkS02
Solution
Hi,

Need PSU recommendations, ASAP.

New ASUS Prime Z490-A MB ATX w/ i5-10400 2.9mhz; 65w. Has standard 24 pin connector but instead of a 4 or 4+4 it has an 8+4 connector.

Graphics card is MSI GTX 980Ti with 8+6 connector rated at 230w maxed out, which I'll never do.

Want a quality PSU 500-600w with the 8+4 connector. Don't want to mess with adaptors.

Question: Is an EPS connector I see in modular PSUs safe to plug into the MB?

Please advise.

Thanks.

An i5-10400 does NOT need both 8-pin and 4-pin connected. You only need the 8-pin.

Absolutely, it doesn't need it. Not with that CPU and especially not without a much higher end CPU, AND overclocking. But, it's good to have a PSU that can support it anyhow so that IF you upgrade the CPU later AND if you decide to play around with some overclocking, you don't have to worry about replacing the PSU at that time.

But yes, you could definitely get by without using the additional four pin EPS connection with no problem.

Either the unit I recommended above or the Corsair RM650x would both be good choices, that are high quality, and have dual 4+4 pin EPS connectors. If you have something now that isn't great quality anyway, might as well get something that DOES have those connections in case you need them later.

MarkS02

Prominent
Aug 25, 2020
Absolutely, it doesn't need it. Not with that CPU and especially not without a much higher end CPU, AND overclocking. But, it's good to have a PSU that can support it anyhow so that IF you upgrade the CPU later AND if you decide to play around with some overclocking, you don't have to worry about replacing the PSU at that time.

But yes, you could definitely get by without using the additional four pin EPS connection with no problem.

Either the unit I recommended above or the Corsair RM650x would both be good choices, that are high quality, and have dual 4+4 pin EPS connectors. If you have something now that isn't great quality anyway, might as well get something that DOES have those connections in case you need them later.

Hey DB,

Thanks for the pointers. I ordered the Seasonic.

Regards. :)

MarkS02

Prominent
Aug 25, 2020
Anytime man.

Hey DB,

The Seasonic was a 550w despite your advice but after sleeping on it and re-reading your recommendation I cancelled my order at Newegg and purchased the Corsair RM750x. Was only $30 more with next day but gives me a lot more leeway going forward. I chose the Seasonic last night because I just had to have it by tomorrow and somehow missed the Corsair. I was determined to find one with two EPS cables. I don't care what the other guy says, ASUS says to plug in the 8+4 for the board to run cooler and, as you say, I build for tomorrow also. :)

I've been building my own rigs since '89 starting with a 386/33. I'm no pro but I've learned a thing or two and I always build a solid upgrade path for the future, not fixating on the bestest everything right now. For most, that means obsessing over raw, expensive horsepower at the cost of future versatility. For me, it means starting with the MB and usually 2nd or 3rd place components that were #1 just 6 or 12 months ago. Once they slip out of #1 they shed what I call the "WOW! premium" of 20-50% markup. I was going to get the i7-10500K but traded the $130 difference in CPUs for a better, next level ASUS board than I had in mind. CPUs and memory only get cheaper every six months and can be easily improved so long as you have a good board. That and I didn't think the price in heat solutions and potential problems of a 125w chip were worth it, all things considered.

My new rig:
ASUS Prime Z490-A
i5-10400 2.9mhz; 65w
32gb (16x2) Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666 (ASUS OVL)
MSI GTX 980Ti (carry over)
WD Black 1TB M.2 2080 SSD
Intel WiFi 6 AX200 M.2 2230
Cougar Case MX331 Mesh ATX-mid
Corsair RM750x PSU
Total: $920

Old rig
:
ASUS P5P43TD/USB
Intel Core2 Quad Q9650 3.0mhz (OC'd to 3.76)
8gb DDR3 1333
2x WD Black 1TB HDD
Creative SB X-Fi Fatality Extreme Gamer Pro (Gen1)
WiFi PCI-1

Built it around 2008 under the same principles and it still runs great just not great enough for what I want to do any longer. Started with an E6600 and 4gb, if memory serves. Upgraded to an E8700 and then the Q9650 along the way. Been through about 5 GPU cards with the last one a Galaxy 450 GTS I put back in it since I'm moving the 980 to the new rig. I picked up the 980 a few months back for a good deal hoping to keep the system going another year or so but even my moderate projects are pushing its limits. Also, had to put in a new EVGA 500w a few weeks after the 980. Its original, 12 year old Rosewill 450w PSU up and died. Had no power issues with the 500w and the 980 plus peripherals and I doubt I ever pushed the 980 anywhere near its 250w TDP or will. I think overall power demand should actually be less with the new system given everything today is engineered to be more efficient and responsive to actual load. Thus my logic for the Seasonic 550w. Or rationalization. :)

But still, my policy is to keep my eye on the future and I believe I did very well with my new system for under $1000 given we're just at the dawn of socket 1200 and 10th Gen i-series. It should carry me for at least 5 years. The old system will still do yeoman service as an online, light duty machine for the wife for at least another two years. I'm working on it right now, anxiously awaiting the new PSU to fire up my new rocket tomorrow.

That's what it'll be compared to this rig. Better both qualitatively and quantitatively by several orders of magnitude in every sub-system. Just unleashing the 980s power through a 192bit slot on a vastly faster bus carrying vastly more volume will make editing a joy again yet alone benefiting from all the other improvements like 4 times the RAM at twice the speed.

I think one reason upgrade junkies (like I used to be) are always chasing a new fix is because the next $500-$1000 spent every few months buys only a marginally noticeable improvement whereas firing up my new rig tomorrow night will be like taking the helm of the Starship Enterprise compared to driving a '57 Chevy. :)

Thanks, again. Cheers.

Last edited:
The "other guy", is the head of PSU research and development for Corsair, and the chief engineer for Corsair's power supply division. So, what I know about power supplies wouldn't fill his little pinky finger if we're being honest here. He's also the guy who STARTED the JonnyGuru website, which for MANY years was the preeminent source for any legitimate information and reviews on power supplies and he's worked for a number of prominent companies either heading up or otherwise guiding their power supply divisions.

So, don't EVER discount anything he says if it pertains or is even loosely related to power supply technology and function.

And I happen to agree with him, and it is in fact, a fact, that that additional 4 pin is an auxiliary connection. It is not even necessary if you had an i7 installed, but I would definitely recommend using it for any level of overclocking with an i7 or ANY system with an i9. For your i5, you can use it, but it's completely not necessary.

The RM750x is a really good power supply though.