Question Good replacement for Asus RT-N66U router.

Feb 6, 2024
I currently have an Asus RT-N66U router, which I know is ancient and not being supported with firmware updates anymore, so I'm looking for another router that'd be a good replacement for it.

My internet is (up to) 300mbps on Spectrum, there are typically 4 devices connected at once, and I also do casual gaming. My house is also small, but I need something that has a decent range because I still struggle to get full Wi-Fi signal in my bedroom (due to the house or just interference, who knows). And most of the devices on the network aren't going to be Wi-Fi 6 capable, if that matters at all.

I'd like to stick with Asus, if possible, but all of the different choices are extremely overwhelming and I have no idea what I should even be truly looking for. I feel like I don't need anything fancy with my usage.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

kanewolf

Titan
I currently have an Asus RT-N66U router, which I know is ancient and not being supported with firmware updates anymore, so I'm looking for another router that'd be a good replacement for it.

My internet is (up to) 300mbps on Spectrum, there are typically 4 devices connected at once, and I also do casual gaming. My house is also small, but I need something that has a decent range because I still struggle to get full Wi-Fi signal in my bedroom (due to the house or just interference, who knows). And most of the devices on the network aren't going to be Wi-Fi 6 capable, if that matters at all.

I'd like to stick with Asus, if possible, but all of the different choices are extremely overwhelming and I have no idea what I should even be truly looking for. I feel like I don't need anything fancy with my usage.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Pick a router that is supported by Merlin firmware https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net . An AC68 or an AX68 would be good choices.