Good router for gaming

SNEAKYZACK

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
What would be a good router for gaming. I'm looking for a router that can prioritize things like gaming and streaming how I want, is dual band, and isn't more than $250. Any suggestions? I've heard the Asus line of routers with their adaptive 2.4 and 5Ghz system works really well for a house with alot of devices and was wondering if anyone has one and how well that system works

Solution
In general you as a end user can't prioritize traffic on the internet. ISP could if they wanted... but this is what all the screaming about net neutrality is. I would love to pay a little extra to ensure I get less lag in games.

In general the only thing you can have any impact on is your UPLOAD rates. If you have overload that the QoS can favor your traffic. Download traffic is much harder since the ISP has already decided what traffic to send and what traffic to drop way before your router gets to do anything. It can't undelete traffic. The QoS on download limit is not really QoS it attempt to trick end machines into requesting less data.

Your best bet is asus routers running the merlin firmware. Still the factory...
In general you as a end user can't prioritize traffic on the internet. ISP could if they wanted... but this is what all the screaming about net neutrality is. I would love to pay a little extra to ensure I get less lag in games.

In general the only thing you can have any impact on is your UPLOAD rates. If you have overload that the QoS can favor your traffic. Download traffic is much harder since the ISP has already decided what traffic to send and what traffic to drop way before your router gets to do anything. It can't undelete traffic. The QoS on download limit is not really QoS it attempt to trick end machines into requesting less data.

Your best bet is asus routers running the merlin firmware. Still the factory firmware form asus and tplink has a lot of QoS features. I think both those vendors run a unified software so all the routers should have the same software features. You need to check they change crap all the time.

In general you do not need QoS if you are not overloading your internet connection. If you are overloading it then the problem is mostly a people problem rather than technical. You should be able to get the same results yelling down the hall to have others get off the internet while you play game. All QoS does is do the same thing electronically, it is not some magic bandwidth increaser someone will not get all they want.

Solution