[SOLVED] Good Routers

stickhutch

Prominent
Dec 22, 2019
Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a router that can handle someone streaming netflix whilst I play video games and can keep a stable connection, latency wise?

Solution
I am going to suspect they can but too many details to say for sure. Years ago ISP routers were very inferior to other routers mostly because they wanted to keep the costs down. Wifi chipsets have been produced so long they have gotten very inexpensive. You many times see ISP routers using the same exact cpu and radio chips as many of the better known routers that have similar specs.

The dirty secret with this nat bypass feature is if you buy a really fancy router and are going to use something like firewall or parental controls the traffic must pass the router CPU to able to be analyzed so this feature must be disabled. You end up with the high power router running slower than a cheap router that does not have fancy software...
Even a $25 router can accomplish that. Most router now have a feature that lets the NAT bypass the main cpu. This lets almost any router run close to gigabit speeds. So the router itself is seldom the problem. The main issue tends to be your internet connection size. No router can really fix the issue of trying to put 20mbps into a 10mbps connection.

Still if you can get even 50mbps you can watch a couple netflix normal movies and play games with no issues.

stickhutch

Prominent
Dec 22, 2019
Even a $25 router can accomplish that. Most router now have a feature that lets the NAT bypass the main cpu. This lets almost any router run close to gigabit speeds. So the router itself is seldom the problem. The main issue tends to be your internet connection size. No router can really fix the issue of trying to put 20mbps into a 10mbps connection.

Still if you can get even 50mbps you can watch a couple netflix normal movies and play games with no issues.
do BT Home Hubs have this feature?

I am going to suspect they can but too many details to say for sure. Years ago ISP routers were very inferior to other routers mostly because they wanted to keep the costs down. Wifi chipsets have been produced so long they have gotten very inexpensive. You many times see ISP routers using the same exact cpu and radio chips as many of the better known routers that have similar specs.

The dirty secret with this nat bypass feature is if you buy a really fancy router and are going to use something like firewall or parental controls the traffic must pass the router CPU to able to be analyzed so this feature must be disabled. You end up with the high power router running slower than a cheap router that does not have fancy software options. You end up with having to choose between speed and fancy features.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS