[SOLVED] Good Specs, Sudden stutter, low fps and lags after BSOD

SenSe1

Reputable
May 10, 2019
Hello, yesterday, I got a BSOD error, I thought that was a minor OS issue, but for my surprise, it wasn't minor at all, ever since, whenever something effective happens while playing a game such as shooting or explosions, it lags, stutters and I'm getting very low fps, I checked that all of the drivers are up to date including my OS itself, I couldn't figure out what's the issue, please help. (Important to mention, that usually I run all of the games I play on the highest settings with above 80 FPS)

SPECS :

CPU - I5 8500 3.0 Ghz

GPU - AMD Radeon RX 590+ Nitro Edition

8 gb of ram

Motherboard - Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X

PSU - Corsair VS 650W

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Honestly, I understand how frustrated it must be - but we have given you all of the starting advice and we can't offer you anymore until the basis is covered:

• ensuring all drivers are up to date
  • BIOS update can also be useful.
  • I would also consider running a CHKDSK and SFC/Scannow commands with admin privileges to verify any corruption in the core OS.

There is a BIOS update available for your system (F7). You are using F4. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I've ran it through a debugger and got the following:

On Fri 10/05/2019 14:43:15 your computer crashed or a problem was reported - crash dump file: 51019-11765-01.dmp (uptime: 02:51:06)
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!MiWriteCompletePfn+0x172B64)
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x7, 0x1D59DF, 0x1, 0x0)
Error: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

A PFN corruption quite often is temporary, but the fact that you've had ongoing issues could well indicate it's had a more permanent effect. I doubt this is hardware, as it is usually a conflicting / unhappy driver - but this can sometimes be RAM.

Typical format following this one would be
  • I would also consider running a CHKDSK and SFC/Scannow commands with admin privileges to verify any corruption in the core OS.
  • Running Virus/Malware scans
Also happy for @gardenman to see if he can pull out anything else and also @Colif as he is pretty expert at resolving BSOD following the debug - assuming they are happy to help!

There IS also every possibility the FPS drop could be pure coincidence, but less likely considering you've only encountered the issue after the BSOD. I have on the rare occasion seen this to do with a third party program like Antivirus.

Last edited:

SenSe1

Reputable
May 10, 2019
I've ran it through a debugger and got the following:

On Fri 10/05/2019 14:43:15 your computer crashed or a problem was reported - crash dump file: 51019-11765-01.dmp (uptime: 02:51:06)
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!MiWriteCompletePfn+0x172B64)
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x7, 0x1D59DF, 0x1, 0x0)
Error: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

A PFN corruption quite often is temporary, but the fact that you've had ongoing issues could well indicate it's had a more permanent effect. I doubt this is hardware, as it is usually a conflicting / unhappy driver - but this can sometimes be RAM.

Typical format following this one would be
  • Running Virus/Malware scans
Also happy for @gardenman to see if he can pull out anything else and also @Colif as he is pretty expert at resolving BSOD following the debug - assuming they are happy to help!

There IS also every possibility the FPS drop could be pure coincidence, but less likely considering you've only encountered the issue after the BSOD. I have on the rare occasion seen this to do with a third party program like Antivirus.
Thanks! I really appreciate your help and I'll let you know if it worked :)

Reactions: PC Tailor

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/cn2p.html

File information:051019-11765-01.dmp (May 10 2019 - 09:43:15)
Bugcheck:PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (4E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 51 Min(s), and 06 Sec(s)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/Z390-GAMING-X-rev-10
There is a BIOS update available for your system (F7). You are using F4. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

SenSe1

Reputable
May 10, 2019
Maybe it's just an internet issue, ever since that BSOD occurred, my ping in programs and games such as Counter Strike:Global Offensive, Discord, Rainbow Six Siege and more, is much higher, I can't see how is the internet related to this BSOD, any clue of how to fix it?

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you update bios, also update Intel Management Engine Interface as it is meant to match the BIOS version installed and there is a newer one to what you have installed now

Installed
Apr 11 2018TeeDriverW8x64.sysIntel Management Engine Interface driver

Web site:
version: 1846.12.0.1177
Dated: 2019/01/17

Installed version is older than current bios now.

Download and run GIgabyte App Center, it might update the oldest driver on PC which is part of Gigabyte Tools. also help with updating IMEI mentioned above. Its on this page - link

PFN is a driver error, just need to figure out which driver.

SenSe1

Reputable
May 10, 2019
Hey, the problem hasn't been solved yet, I noticed something, when I'm playing overwatch and csgo, games with action, when ever something happen such as explosion or shooting my Latency goes really high, any clue?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Honestly, I understand how frustrated it must be - but we have given you all of the starting advice and we can't offer you anymore until the basis is covered:

There is a BIOS update available for your system (F7). You are using F4. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

if you update bios, also update Intel Management Engine Interface as it is meant to match the BIOS version installed and there is a newer one to what you have installed now

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you bsod again, give us the dump files. If it still shows no drivers at fault, we can run driver verifier but it has a habit of causing boot loops so I don't recommend it unless its necessary. Its part of windows designed to find bad drivers. As I said, don't run it unless we can't find driver another way.