Question Good system for gaming?

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Heya folks, I am about to build a new PC as mine isn't going so great on games. It is very old (i7 920, 6GB RAM, Gigabyte EX58-UD5 mobo and GTX 970). The GPU is fine but the RAM, CPU and mobo have had their time. These are my system specs:
STORAGE - 1TB Samsung 860 Evo
PSU - EVGA Supernova G3 1000w
GPU - 2080ti (Don't know what brand yet. Was thinking Asus or Msi lightning)
CPU - i7-9700k or i9-9900k (maybe new Ryzen CPU's)
COOLER - Custom loop for CPU
MOBO - Asus ROG Maximus XI Extreme
CASE - Corsair 1000D
CASE FANS - Corsair HD120 or Corsair LL120

If there is anything you would change or any recommendations for anything then please let me know. I am open to anything =)

What monitor resolution and refresh?

That does look like a pretty good system with everything compatable.
You could wait until the beginning of next month when AMD releases their 3rd generation Ryzen CPUs.
You can get a 12 core 24t CPU with a 3.8 base and 4.6 boost based on 7nm with 70mh cache for the same price as the 9900k The AMD chip may beat the 9900k, it might not. You also get an upgrade path to a 16 core.

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
What monitor resolution and refresh?

That does look like a pretty good system with everything compatable.
You could wait until the beginning of next month when AMD releases their 3rd generation Ryzen CPUs.
You can get a 12 core 24t CPU with a 3.8 base and 4.6 boost based on 7nm with 70mh cache for the same price as the 9900k The AMD chip may beat the 9900k, it might not. You also get an upgrade path to a 16 core.

Oh shit. I might actually wait for new CPU's then. I knew they were gonna be really good but not that good. Oh and with monitors I am gonna have 4. x3 Acer XB270HU and then an Asus PG34Q above so that I can bring it down when I am watching movies and stuff like that. I might make a second PC as well so that I have 1 for the 3 smaller monitors and 1 for the big monitor. Both PC's will be very similair specs but one will be a bit better with productivity things. So I will have 4 monitors and 2 PC's. PC 1 will be for Gaming and PC 2 will be for my mates to use when they come over and for me to use for productivity

Yea they will be pretty good. Here is the Ryzen 9 lineup:

AMD Ryzen™ 9 3950X

Graphics Model: Discrete Graphics Card Required
# of CPU Cores: 16
# of Threads: 32
Max Boost Clock: 4.7GHz
Base Clock: 3.5GHz
Thermal Solution: Wraith Prism with RGB LED
TDP: 105W
AMD Ryzen™ 9 3900X

# of CPU Cores: 12
# of Threads: 24
Max Boost Clock: 4.6GHz
Base Clock: 3.8GHz

Ryzen 7 CPUS still have 8 cores and 16 threads with mid 4ghz clocks.

Sounds like a plan!

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Yea they will be pretty good. Here is the Ryzen 9 lineup:

AMD Ryzen™ 9 3950X

# of CPU Cores: 16
# of Threads: 32
Max Boost Clock: 4.7GHz
Base Clock: 3.5GHz
AMD Ryzen™ 9 3900X

# of CPU Cores: 12
# of Threads: 24
Max Boost Clock: 4.6GHz
Base Clock: 3.8GHz

Ryzen 7 CPUS still have 8 cores and 16 threads with mid 4ghz clocks.

Sounds like a plan!

Oh ok. Those are fucking amazing. I might have to grab one of them then bahaha. Let's see how benchmarks go. Apparently the 3950x is better than the 9980xe from Intel. For the second PC what would you put in it?

Yup 3900x is supposed to directly compete with the 9900k pricing wise.
Here is the benchmarks between the 2 chips that AMD posted. As with all manufacturer benchmarks Id wait for 3rd party reviews to confirm these figures.
3900x01-640x640.jpg

Performance seems similar in games but the Ryzen 9 has more cores and will accel at video editing, virtualization, and streaming. Also, we don't know how well ryzen 9 will overclock. We do know the 16 core overclocked on LN2 will break a bunch of records for the fastest 16 core in cinebench.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Monitors is all gpu, so that's covered by the 2080ti. You won't be watching a movie while trying to game. Screen size is irrelevant, 1080p on a 60" big screen is exactly the same as 1080p on a 15". 1080p. So all you'll need to figure out is resolution and Hz and whether you are going for total immersion with 1 game on 3 monitors, or 3 monitors with 1 game on 1 main.
Fps is all cpu. If pushing for 144Hz+ you'll need the best, regardless of amd or Intel. If using something like Adobe CC for editing or other content creation, I'd stick with the 9900k. Abode just works better with Intel, the Ryzens generally are on the bottom of performance there due to IPC. The Zen2 might change that a bit, but not sure until tested.
If planning on 4k monitors, figure 60Hz, so the cpu is far less important.

Once you start making some firm decisions as to exactly what you want and what your needs are, you can then start plugging in the necessary requirements, such as the cpu, cooling, case, storage, ram etc.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Monitors is all gpu, so that's covered by the 2080ti. You won't be watching a movie while trying to game. Screen size is irrelevant, 1080p on a 60" big screen is exactly the same as 1080p on a 15". 1080p. So all you'll need to figure out is resolution and Hz and whether you are going for total immersion with 1 game on 3 monitors, or 3 monitors with 1 game on 1 main.
Fps is all cpu. If pushing for 144Hz+ you'll need the best, regardless of amd or Intel. If using something like Adobe CC for editing or other content creation, I'd stick with the 9900k. Abode just works better with Intel, the Ryzens generally are on the bottom of performance there due to IPC. The Zen2 might change that a bit, but not sure until tested.
If planning on 4k monitors, figure 60Hz, so the cpu is far less important.

Once you start making some firm decisions as to exactly what you want and what your needs are, you can then start plugging in the necessary requirements, such as the cpu, cooling, case, storage, ram etc.

Damn nice essay lmfao. Umm I know what the overhead one will be but not the three smaller ones. I was thinking the Acer XB270HU were good for it. Search up silencedtech and look at his latest setup refresh. That is what I wamt to accomplish. Exactly that

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I hope you are independently wealthy. You'll need to be. I watched the video, he's running 2x pc's worth @ $3k and $5k. Add on $3k worth of monitors and swing arm and another $1k just in peripherals.

Understand, he most likely didn't buy much of any of that, it's all products donated/supplied to him by the respective companies. For the price of 1x Godlike motherboard, MSI just reached not only the 67k subscribers, but also every junkie with a dream who hasn't subscribed. That's cheap advertising. Notice Corsair was a major player, for the price of their equipment, ppl got to see a verifiable dream looking build, that's entirely possible with Corsair stuff. Not gonna buy an nzxt cooler cuz dudes pc looks awesome and has Corsair. Cheap advertising again.

While I, and you, can drool over what he has got for a setup, reality is often not the case.
A) my bedroom won't support such a venture,
B) my budget seriously can't handle such a venture,
C) my wife.... Let's just leave that alone..